1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Acoustic bass rig...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jrutt, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Jrutt

Jrutt

Dec 11, 2011
    I have the acoustic b200h and 4x10, 1x15 cab to match... My question is, does the head send more power to one cab, or when both cabs are hooked up?

2. 5port

5port

Oct 14, 2009
    LI,new yawk
    B200h-----410 = 140W

B200h-----1X15 = 140W

B200h-----1X15 + 410 = 200W

3. Jrutt

Jrutt

Dec 11, 2011
    Awesome... Thanks!

4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Put that 115 on top, That 410 can handle way more than the 115. You can push it way to hard with the 410 never breaking a sweat, if you have it on top of your stack you will be able to hear farting out before you kill it.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 no matter what you've seen or heard, pairing a 410 and a 115 is an awful match. Put the 15 on top so you can hear when it cries, and it WILL cry.

6. Jrutt

Jrutt

Dec 11, 2011
    So your saying put another 4x10 cab with one I have now... Please explane...

7. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    2k W of the Duwamsh
    There is at least a thread every other day on this. Numerous reasons; do some searching. Start with the "Amps" Stickies. You'll learn more than by just being told. Soooo much good info to be found here. Enjoy the ride.

8. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Two matching cabs will work perfectly together, where a 410/115 combo has a tendency to have phasing issues.

Also the 410 is louder, and can take much more power before distorting and being damaged. So you could be pushing the 115 past its limit and never hear it farting out because the 410 is drowning it out.

Mixed cabs are a crap shoot at best, where as matching cabs will always work perfectly together.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    That^.

10. WormtownBass

WormtownBass

Jun 24, 2011
    Authorized Builder: Bill Fitzmaurice, fEARful bass
    The amount of power is dependent on the impedance of the cabs. If they are both 8 ohm cabs, they will receive the same power. If they are different, then the lower impedance cab will receive more power. With that said, a 4x10 with the same power will probably be louder than the 1x15 by the same manufacturer.

+1 for what Hopkins says about phasing. Also, 4x10s are incredibly inefficient and create all sorts of phasing and comb filtering issues.

11. I won't mix my 410 with my 115, but using a 115 and a 210 seems to be much better or closer to a match. .

12. Although I cannot argue against the science; physics of speaker cabs, I suggest using your own ears; what sounds best to you.

In the 80's, a few times, I stacked a 4 X 12 "guitar" cab loaded with Altecs on top of my Sunn 1-18 VH, which is a shot/squat folded horn variant. Both were powered by my Acoustic 370 head. I had no significant concerns regarding mis-matched ohmage, due to the capabilites of the Acoustic, as well as most other SS Bass heads.

Typically, for most gigs, I used the Sunn horn alone @ 4 ohms. I don't know ohmage of the 4x12 or total ohmage with both.

I do know that a phenomeneon occured when stacking: I no longer heard the folded horn so much as felt it. As the 12's were at ear level, I clearly head them. As I used a Rick with a pick an Rotosound 66's , It sounded glorious to me. It was THE SOUND I heard in my head..MY TONE.

Again, the physicists among us will have a field day with my experiment, but as no one told me that it was "WRONG", I tried it and loved it.

Use YOUR EARS, regardless of any other opinions; scientific or otherwise..and enjoy YOUR SOUND.

BTW... I only tried this a few times; the Sunn alone was more than enough for typical gigs; stacking experiment was mostly for outdoor gigs.

13. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    I have a 210/115 hartke/peavey in my practice space. It sounds good for what it is.

14. WormtownBass

WormtownBass

Jun 24, 2011
    Authorized Builder: Bill Fitzmaurice, fEARful bass