1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acoustic Bass string comparison?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RustyAxe, Sep 9, 2008.

1. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I have a 4-string, fretted Tacoma Thunderchief strung with the OEM strings (I think, bought it used). Those would be Elixers, same as D'Addario EPBB170 PB strings. I'm going to replace them with Thomastik-Infeld AB344 Acousticore strings. I know the TI strings are lighter gauge than the PB's. What I'm comparing is string tension, and whether I can expect to have to tweak the bass for the newer strings.

It's interesting to me that the lighter gauge TI's have consistently higher tension! Does that make sense? Can one determine the total string tension on the neck as simply being the sum of individual strings? If so, then the TI's will exert 23 more pounds of tension than the PB's. I thought TI's were less tension than other steel core strings. Any comments from those more knowledgeable than me? :help: Thanks!

D'Addario specs

E - .100 - 18.23
    A - .80 - 21.5
    D - .65 - 25.26
    G - .45 - 21.54

TI specs

E - .86 - 26.5
    A - .68 - 27.3
    D - .53 - 29.2
    G - .41 - 26.5

2. You have kilograms (D'Addario) mixed up with pounds (TI).

3. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Very strange.
    By all accounts they are lower tension. But the numbers say different.

EDIT: Or what Parabolic said. :)

4. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    That might be ... I'll double check (can I get a job with NASA?). If so, then the PB's are

E - 40.1 lbs
    A - 47.3
    D - 55.4
    G - 47.3

Total TI = 109.5
    Total PB = 210.0

TI's exert HALF the tension of PB's? That doesn't sound quite right, either, though.

5. The TI's have nylon cores.

And, yes, you, too, can cause a crash multi-million dollar space probe to crash! :)

6. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    The TI's are 109.5 not 86.5

7. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    And the D'Addario's are 190.8.

Thats some bit closer.

8. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Yes, of course! I can't even read my own scribbles on the notepad, and picked up the wrong numbers. :meh: I didn't party last night, honest!

Thanks for pointing that out.

9. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    No bother dude.