1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acoustic Bass strings on an Electric Bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sojhen, Apr 20, 2010.

1. I am curious to know... would it make any difference if I put acoustic bass strings on my electric bass? Would it change the tone? Would the gauge be off? Would the strings be wound differently?
    :confused:
    The question popped into my head, and I knew exactly where to go...
    Thanks for your time guys, I appreciate it greatly..

2. engedi1

engedi1 Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    To my shame, I have tried this once, with some old DB strings I didn't want anymore. It doesn't work. First of all, many DB strings don't have the right core to be magnetic, as they don't need to be! Therefor, if you get any sound at all, it is weak and ineffectual. Also, the gauges are way wrong, you will have to cut them way to short, bottom line, don't do it!

3. A fellow bassist friend of mine did it, and he was wondering, if it made a difference,.. that makes sense about the magnetics and such,... figured it would be wound differently...

The strings are Ernie Ball, stainless steel, roundwound..in a green package...
    and the gauges are:

4. Cannabass

Cannabass

Jan 22, 2010
    it should work fine, but i'll bet the tone just wont be great.

the problems described by this guy above would only be present with DB sstrings, not ABG strings

should be the right length, guage sounds fine

tell us how it goes

5. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'd love to be wrong), but I'm sure there was a thread in the past I remember reading (I too was curious about this exact thing a while back) that said that while ABG strings aren't completely non-magnetic, they will output little to no sound at all depending on your pickups. This is because they are mainly made out of bronze instead of steel or nickel-plated steel.

If you're looking for a string that will give you a more upright feel, I'd suggest trying some nylon tapewounds such as (opens a link to juststrings.com, but you can search around for the best prices):
    Fender 9120's
    GHS 3060's
    La Bella 760N's
    RotoSound RS88's (My personal favorite)

6. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    How about the other way around ? Take a messed up String Bass and cut electric bass spaces in the wood and stick them in there, at least you'll get a sound. If you do that then I want to see pictures......:D

7. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    Ernie ball makes steel acoustic bass strings that come in a green package? Have any pics?

Last i checked the package you are describing is a nickel wound set. Their accoustic set doesnt even come in that gauge range no are they steel.

8. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    Are you talking about bronze ABG strings or double bass strings? Bronze will sorta work but your pickup output will be cut waaaaay down. Upright strings will not work. Even if they did fit through your bridge the E and A would probably break where they made the turn around the tuner....they don't like being wound onto the tuner post past the taper onto the fat part of the string.

9. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Bronze strings won't have much magnetic output so if you put those on your electric, you'll most likely be disappointed. Only the core wire is magnetic on those strings. Double bass strings would also have problems.

John

10. Yea, my friend said he wasn't sure if they were acoustic strings or not.. the gauge is slightly thicker then what I have on my bass.. So.. I dunno...
    I think he should be fine...

11. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    Is this the package?

[​IMG]