1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Acoustic Bass Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by basscentric, Feb 22, 2005.

1. basscentric

basscentric

Feb 22, 2005
    I've got a Tacoma CB-10 with DR bronze strings. The tone is too clangy for my taste. I want a warmer, almost upright tone. I read that lee sklar puts nylon strings on his acoustic. Has anyone tried this...which ones did they use?

2. pholt

pholt

Apr 20, 2004
    Try a set of Fender 9050's or Labella Deep Talkers.

3. basscentric

basscentric

Feb 22, 2005
    can u put electric strings on an acoustic bass?

4. pholt

pholt

Apr 20, 2004
    Oh, I thought you were talking about for an electric bass.

5. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    Yes. I know another bluegrass bassist that uses flatwounds on his accostic bass. I wish I knew the brand so I could tell you, cause they sound very upright.

6. basscentric

basscentric

Feb 22, 2005
    Thanks for the advice. I checked out some the songs and the tone sounded great. DOes it sound good unplugged also?

7. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    +1 on the Labella black tapewounds. They really ought to just ship the basses with them instead of bronze. I have them on my Tacoma/Olympia. IMO it sounds better unplugged than it does plugged, but mine doesn't have the nice electronics that the actual Tacomas have.

8. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    Just a fair warning, I've tried Martin's bronze accoustic strings and found them to be next to worthless. I was in a bind and the local shop only had those, so I bought them. I promptly tracked down a set of Earthwoods. I used the Martins for one show and it was one show too many...

9. basscentric

basscentric

Feb 22, 2005
    I just got my Labella Deep Talkin Nylon Acoustic bass strings.... Holy ****...they are awesome...i feel like i have a new instrument!!! Thanks for the advice! :bassist: