Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic Bass Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by basscentric, Feb 22, 2005.

1. basscentric

basscentric

Feb 22, 2005
    I've got a Tacoma CB-10 with DR bronze strings. The tone is too clangy for my taste. I want a warmer, almost upright tone. I read that lee sklar puts nylon strings on his acoustic. Has anyone tried this...which ones did they use?

2. pholt

pholt

Apr 20, 2004
    Try a set of Fender 9050's or Labella Deep Talkers.

3. basscentric

basscentric

Feb 22, 2005
    can u put electric strings on an acoustic bass?

4. pholt

pholt

Apr 20, 2004
    Oh, I thought you were talking about for an electric bass.

5. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    Yes. I know another bluegrass bassist that uses flatwounds on his accostic bass. I wish I knew the brand so I could tell you, cause they sound very upright.

6. basscentric

basscentric

Feb 22, 2005
    Thanks for the advice. I checked out some the songs and the tone sounded great. DOes it sound good unplugged also?

7. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    +1 on the Labella black tapewounds. They really ought to just ship the basses with them instead of bronze. I have them on my Tacoma/Olympia. IMO it sounds better unplugged than it does plugged, but mine doesn't have the nice electronics that the actual Tacomas have.

8. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    Just a fair warning, I've tried Martin's bronze accoustic strings and found them to be next to worthless. I was in a bind and the local shop only had those, so I bought them. I promptly tracked down a set of Earthwoods. I used the Martins for one show and it was one show too many...

9. basscentric

basscentric

Feb 22, 2005
    I just got my Labella Deep Talkin Nylon Acoustic bass strings.... Holy ****...they are awesome...i feel like i have a new instrument!!! Thanks for the advice! :bassist: