Acoustic Bass Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bart277, Dec 28, 2007.

1. what are the best strings for a acoustic bass?

2. nordic27

nordic27

Jul 30, 2006
    Lee's Summit MO
    I have used Thomastik Spiracore strings for a long time. Always loved the tone, playability, and durability of this brand.
    Hope this helps a little.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've tried Elixer bronze, LaBella nylon tapewound, and D'Addario bronze. My personal favorites are the D'Addario strings.

If you want it to sound like an Acoustic bass GUITAR, the phosphor bronze strings are the way to go. Sound bright and squeaky - great for accompanying an acoustic guitar player. If you want it to sound like an Acoustic BASS guitar, the nylon tapes do that well.

4. JUst installed Webstrings Med Flats - on my Dean EAB - it sounds frikkin fantabulas, more so plugged in. unplugged has good sound alsothough not overly loud.

5. I just read about a guy who puts D'Addario Phosphor-Bronze Acoustic Bass Strings on his electric! What would that sound like?

6. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    I use Thomastik Jazz Flats On my Takamine acoustic I just don't like the feel or sound of the bronze strings.

7. Agreed -

And since I use the Piezo - run through a preamp, into an amp, I really like the smoothness of the flats, both physically and sonically.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021