Acoustic Bass Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DaBassman, Apr 10, 2002.

1. DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    I would like to replace the strings that came on my Dean Performer Acoustic bass (a lefty no less!).
    Any suggestions?
  2. Thomastik-Infeld Acoustic, I have them on my Fender acoustic bass and I love them.

Mind you I tried their Powerbass on my Fender Jazz V and I hated them, so there you go
  3. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

My primary perforance (solo bass) basses are Godin A4 fretted and A5 fretless (with High C), both strung with Thomastik Acousticores. They are amazing strings. Probably the MOST balanced set of any kind I have played (and I have played a lot of different sets!) Due to their light gauge and tension, they might require you to "lighten" up on you right hand, or in your case left hand, technique, but they really due open up the tone of an ABG.
    Coincidentally, I also have a Dean Performer Plus, which I use just for writing and traveling. It gets played just about everyday; most of the tunes on my solo CD were composed on that bass... ithas logged some frequent flyer miles of its own, and gets quite a bit of use. I have had a set of TI Acousticores on it since last May...and they still sound great!!
    TIs work great on piezo equipped basses. None of that dreaded "chirp" or the sometimes harsh and shrill top end which all the ferrous-cored (even the bronze wound ) strings exhibit. They also provide a much livlier and "singing" top end; something I have found lacking in the tapewounds.
  4. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Thomastik-Infeld AB-344's
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I like Elixers on my Tacoma.
  6. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I put the carvin/LaBelles on my tacoma and they made it sound really uprightish. Got ride of all that clicky brightness