1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

acoustic bass strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ghostx21, May 16, 2011.

1. I started playing the bass for a couple months now and I've notice the the strings on my Ibanez acoustic bass where starting to become really worn out. I was wondering if I need a specific kind of strings for my acoustic or if any regular electric bass strings will do.
    and if I do need acoustic strings any ideals on where to find some for a fair price.

2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Any strings will work on ABG. Bronze roundwounds are generally loudest but I prefer the sound of flats.

3. Like jallenbass I prefer flats these days, and currently use light gauge GHS Precision Flats (.45-.95). However, if you would prefer bronze, then I'd suggest the new Fender bronze strings. They really sound deep instead of tinny like a lot of PBs do and are a little more flexible tension-wise. They really have sort of an uprite vibe to them. I had a set for a while but decided to go ahead and go back to my flats. Nothing wrong with the Fenders, just prefered the flats. I may try them again someday.
    Fender Acoustic Bass Guitar Strings

4. thanks you two. you really help me out a lot thanks

5. Etienned

Etienned

Jul 16, 2010
    Montréal
    Although most abg come with bronze, I would suggest you to check nylon tapewound, which are somewhat popular too for abg. They keep high registry while minimizing finger noise and provide a nice powerful thumping sound in the low freq.

I have labellas black nylon tapewound on my abg, and I love them. A bit pricey but they're reputed to last several year; mine are 11 months old and they are like new.

Check juststrings.com, they have them for most scale length , in 4, 5 or 6 strings flavors.

I also tried d'Addarios xl black tapewound, similar but cheaper and less resistant to wear in my experience. The coating tended to fall apart on the set I tried.

6. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    What scale is your bass? I have the Ibanez AEB and the LaBellas were too long for the medium scale.

7. Etienned

Etienned

Jul 16, 2010
    Montréal
    It's a short scale (30"). Labella makes them in 30-32-34 formats and also in an extra long length too if I'm not mistaken.

8. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I've had 2 ABG's and have tried about 6 different set of string including the GHS Precisions which I liked but did not get much volume. My favorite is the TI Acousticore's. Expensive but I thought it was worth it. Also liked the DR Rare's.

9. I love my GHS boomers Heavy 50-70-95-115 on my achstick bass guitar

10. BluesGuy

BluesGuy

Dec 4, 2009
    What do you use for your medium scale Ibanez 254 stringer? I'm thinking about picking one up tomorrow.