1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acoustic Bass Suggestions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wess227, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Wess227

Wess227

Jan 14, 2020
    Hello! I am looking for an ABG new or used for around $150-$200. What are some that you would suggest? Links to where I can buy are appreciated.

2. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
  3. Wess227

Wess227

Jan 14, 2020
    How much more would I have to spend on something that would be a better buy?

4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    You won't find much that's very loud acoustically in that price range.

5. GretschWretch

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Bottom dollar might get you a Dean Playmate (used) or AEB, but a more realistic floor would be to start at $400 minimum.

What do you plan to use this bass for?

FugaziBomb likes this.
  6. Wess227

Wess227

Jan 14, 2020
    Mostly jamming at home and there's a small venue I go to that I've been lugging my electric and an amp too for a year or two and have gotten a little annoyed with it.

7. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

Nov 5, 2010
    I would look at Ibanez - I've owned several, they all were set up very well from the factory, decent intonation, decent electronics. GC in my area seems to always have a couple in their acoustic room - usually the AEB 10 for right around $200 new. Not much acoustic output so if that's what you're looking for there is a very large body Dean in that price range that would work better (but has poor electronics and IME poor intonation).

8. davelowell2

davelowell2 Uhh... FaFaFooey is BaBaBooey... Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    NYC via StL
    I recently bought a used Ibanez pnb14e for 2 bills. As long as your expectation of quality and volume are reasonable, it’s a great buy.

9. skycruiser

skycruiser

Jan 15, 2019
    Texas
    Ibanez has a few acoustics with a $249 street price that you can get down to ~$220 at a place like Sweetwater just by asking. GC and MF might do the same thing. The PCB14E is short (25.5") - I think great for playing around the house but I've seen them used in small gigs with an amp. The PCBE12 and PCBE12MH are 32" scale. I haven't tried those but worth checking out. Should be able to find any of these used for under $200.

10. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Depending on room, players, ambient noise and general volume, you'll still more than likely need the amp. ABG's have their limitations. At home, no problem.

Check ebay for a used Takamine EG512.

soulstew and jblock like this.
  11. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Unless the venue is a bedroom and you're not playing with anything louder than a lightly fingerpicked acoustic guitar, you'll still need an amp if you want to be heard and supply actual bass frequencies. IMHO of course. ABG's are fine for couch noodling but that's about it.

soulstew, Frank77 and bigswifty1 like this.
  12. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    I picked up a Dean AEB sight unseen and it played great. The only issue was the piezo pickup was not seated right under the saddle. Took me all of 2 minutes to fix. Other than that, the thing sounds and plays great for $120.

13. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    In his price range yes. Beyond it there are wonderful instruments that don’t pretend to be uprights or EBs that one plays because they sound phenomenal.

14. mflaherty

mflaherty

Oct 9, 2001
  15. This used they are great players I have had mine for many years
    Epiphone El Segundo upload_2020-1-15_10-57-48.png look at the action it is perfect
    upload_2020-1-15_10-55-39.png

16. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    At least - 500e.

17. JohnnyBottom

JohnnyBottom Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Never happy with volume on acoustics. An electric or anything, with a roland micro cube.
    What happens if a 2nd guitar or God forbid a banjo shows up :banghead:

mflaherty likes this.
  18. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
    Not likely to get the volume you may want in an all acoustic setting gig at that price range. I've seen used Spector Timbres in the $400 range, and I seen demo or blemished ones in the $550 to $650 range.

They are a great acoustic sounding bass with good strings, have great tone, and are loud enough to be heard in an acoustic gig with other players. Well made and ladder braced. And their design was based off a Tacoma Thunderchief that is no longer manufactured, but know for great sound and volume acoustically.

And even at the new prices ($750 and up) a pretty great deal.
    upload_2020-1-15_10-13-0.png

19. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    There is no ABG that will have enough volume to jam with anyone other than yourself. You are still going to need a small amp. I own 3 of them, and I always have to have an amp if I'm playing with someone else.
    Even if you are playing by yourself, the audience will have to sit very close.

mflaherty likes this.
  20. GretschWretch

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    I guess my paunch obscures the bass in my avatar.