1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Acoustic Bass used in an electric band?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jason Byrne, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Hey lads.
    Just wondering if anyone has ever used an acoustic bass with a metal band or some heavy grunge/Hard rock.
    I just sorta want an account of how well it fits into the mix and if you have any recommendations of a certain bass?
    I was thinking the Ibanez AEB8.
    In advance...Thank you.

2. wobble man

wobble man

Feb 15, 2013
    I've never done it, but have always been fascinated with the idea. Every time I listen to early Helmet albums, I think of how awesome it would be to do something heavy and visceral like that ACOUSTIC! No advice on gear here, but I say do it, it must be done by someone!

3. Ahh dammit haha,Thanks for the reply anyway :)

4. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Not what you asked for, but you made me think of my favorite Bay Area rock band with an accoustic bass - and I mean a *real* accoustic bass.

5. madurolover

madurolover

May 21, 2011
    Tampa Fl
    We do some acoustic bassed songs and I use my Fender Kingsman for those but not on Back in Black.

6. cchorney

cchorney

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    I tries using my AEB with my rock band. It had the upright sound I was looking for (helped by a foam string mute and a mild delay effect), but on the harder rocking songs the fret board slap really gets picked up by the peizo pickups and you get a lot of "clank clank clank" in an unhelpful way.

7. Thanks lads!

8. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    This ^^ as well as being a feedback nightmare at full band volumes..