1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acoustic bass w/o amp

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by j_micho, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Hi,

I wanna start leaning bass guitar. I was thinking about buying an acoustic bass so I would be able to bring it to camping. However, I went to a local music shop today and was told that acoustic bass aren't loud enough to stand next to more than one guitar when played acoustically. Is that true?

If it is, is there some kind of portable (possibly battery powered) amp available somewhere?

Thx!
    --------
    Jon

2. allenhumble

allenhumble Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    Yes, it is howvere I have found that the Tacoma bass is louder than most. I own one and have taken it camping and was heard fine over a guitar and a banjo. But, the Tacoma is quite epensive for a beginer bass. (Around 1100.00). The Takamine is pretty loud as well and priced around 500.00 to 600.00. I think I saw a tacoma for around 680.00 in the classifieds.

3. I tried a few ones at local music shops (both new and used). I found a used Cort SJB3 for about 250$. It sound louder than other models I tried. How does the scale affect volume? The Cort SJB3 is has a 30" scale neck. Would a 34" be louder?

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I've played an acoustic Ibanez, around $350., with several guitars, and a mandolin, no problem. You could get a small Vox DA5, around $120., though it's a guitar amp, it works well with bass in the circumstance you've described. Good luck. BTW, acoustic basses in the lower price ranges are harder to play than a good electric, so don't let that put you off.

5. allenhumble

allenhumble Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    What effects the volume is the mass of the body. The larger the mass the more air (sound) that can be pushed.

6. Laxplayer

Laxplayer

Aug 24, 2007
    how are they harder to play?

7. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas