Acoustic Bass..Which one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AndyGL, Dec 3, 2003.

1. AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    I’m thinking about buying myself an acoustic bass for Christmas. Today I went to a store and played a Guild B30E. It was used and I understand they are discontinued now that Fender bought Guild. It sounded good to me although there was no other brands to compare except for few cheapo’s that sounded thin. For those with experience with Acoustic Basses how does the Guild B30E compare with the Tacoma, Martin, and Taylor? Any other suggestions?

2. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    the only one ive played is the tacoma, and it is ****ing awesome.

3. wombolombo

Nov 29, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    I 2nd that for Tacoma. Just make sure you get the one with the built in Fishman preamp. I skipped it to save money, and just ended up having to buy one of those Fishman Pro EQ Bass preamps - cost me about the same amount of money I saved originally!
  4. I own and play a Guild B4CE. I love it too.

The ABG's you have listed are the high end acoustics and they cost at least 1000.00+, with exception to the Tacoma, which IMHO doesn't compare.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Agreed, the Tacoma doesn't compare....

Because it's so much better than the others.

Seriously, check out the Tacoma. They have a few trim levels, I have the one with a Fishman Prefix Plus preamp/pickup in it, which lists for well over $1000. I got mine for about $1050 discounted with hard case when they were brand new. I've played the lower end model with the "Tacoma" branded L.R. Baggs preamp/pickup and it was not nearly as nice sounding plugged in.

I played many acoustic bass guitars over the years including some high end models from Martin and others. I had pretty much written off the whole concept of the ABG as flawed when I tried a Tacoma. I bought it days after trying it.
  6. AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    Sounds like I’ll just have to get the Guild and the Tacoma in the same room for an AB. The used Guild B30E (in very good condition) had an asking price of $1495 and that sounded high to me. Anyone know what they should really go for. How much should a good used Tacoma sell for with the Fishman?

Just what I need... another bass?

7. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    search man, there's been like 40,000 threads about acoustic basses recently.