Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic Bass -- why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IotaNet, Mar 23, 2005.

1. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

To the group -

I was browsing my friendly neighborhood music store today (Well, actually fiddling with the Fender Aerodyne that they have on display and feenin' for mine -- which should get here any day now, courtesy of Fatdog!) and I noticed an acoustic electric bass. I am curious -- why do people buy/play them?

I know the standard answer -- "It has a different sound." I get that. But I'm curious ...

* Do people buy them to play certain genres of music? (Jazz? Country? Folk?)

* Do people buy them because they're light and easy to take to gigs/practice?

* Do people buy them so they can play "outside 'round the campfire"/"on the front porch?"

* Is it an "MTV Unplugged" kinda vibe?

I'm just curious -- some of them are very beautiful instruments .. with a totally different "aesthetic" than Electrics. I am intrigued about the possible "practical" applications of this particular breed of cat and I'm curious how people are using them

Please chime in with your thoughts/opinions!

2. zerodown1432

zerodown1432

Aug 28, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    so you don't have to drag your amp to acoustic jam sessions

3. I'd like one to have lying around the house:easy to pick up & pluck w/o amp hassles. As for the above reply, IME they're pretty much useless w/o an amp.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That's pretty much it. I moved my amp out of my bedroom to my basement studio, and got the ABG to doodle and practice in my room. But since I got my combo amp, I no longer need an ABG, so I'm debating getting rid of it.

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Yep. The volume can't even bother competing with an acoustic guitar, and damn well forget about a drummer.

They give an interesting tone when plugged in though. And yeah, some of them are absolutely gorgeous.

Basically, if you want to start doing gigs with an acoustic instrument, your best bet is to just pick up DB ;).

6. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    The only acoustic bass guitar I can imagine having any use is a fretless Carvin AC40. Those sound absolutely amazing plugged in. Ridiculous mwah and tons of thump if you want it.

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    New toy!

8. picknslap

picknslap

Sep 9, 2004
    Manteca
    I have a Takamine Jasmine, nothing fancy. But it's fun if I'm just sitting down at the computer, and I'm like, "that would sound awesome" I just lean over and grab that thing and start jamming. You get a different vibe when your playing it to.

9. Sane

Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    Yea mines mainly for easy play... Havent changed the strings in over 3 years though... maybe I should do that. Electronics have always been shot in it never thought about replacing them maybe I should. Sadly I dont pick up my electric 4 anymore much less the ABG... Fiver took over:)

10. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    There are some truly nifty ABG's who's objective is to give UB type of vibe; Turner, Godin, to name a couple. These instruments were fully intended to be plugged-in and generally have alternate types of pick-up systems to provide a more percussive and tonally diverse flavour....As for the "oversized acoustic guitar" style bass, I have yet to play one that I liked or that sounded decent dry, but I have tales of full and thick acoustic tone oozing from these basses.
    My personal thoughts are that the acoustic guitar format does not physically allow for usefull reproduction of a low E, let alone a low B. If you look worldwide at the truly acoustic instruments that exist to reproduce notes in this range I don't think you will find anything nearly as small as a really big acoustic guitar.....