Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic Bass with Picollo strings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Niels Keijzer, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    There have been a good number of threads about Acoustic Bassguitars and how to make them audible while playing unamplified with other instruments.
    I was wondering, would picollo strings increase the volume of an ABG, besides completely changing the sound of the instrument?

But would it be possible to put these strings on an ABG, and if so, has anyone ever tried? :meh:

edit: Did anyone try this one, by the way? It certainly looks very...pink.

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    LaBella makes a set of piccolo nylon core strings. I picked up a set when I was putting together a nylon core set for my 6 string ABG.

They were designed for Brian Bromberg.

They sound pretty good. I can't think of any reason, apart from the nut (slots may be too big) and neck tension issues (probably will need a truss rod tweak), that would prevent you from trying them out. They're cheap, too--I think juststrings has them for under $20 for a set.

It'll be louder simply because the higher frequencies will be more audible. Of course, playing a piccolo bass will limit the bass's role as a supporting instrument when playing with other musicians.

3. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    I had a look at juststrings, and I found two sets of strings from that particular brand.

But I don't see anything about nylon, nor Bromberg...they are supposed to be made from steel.
    I see they have two sizes: .012 - .030 and .030 - .080.
    I think the second type would be normal for a picollo bass?

I shouldn't talk too much about strings, though, as I risk being moved to the 'strings' forum.

edit: I see I've misspelled 'piccolo' throughout. It's time talkbass gets a 'find and replace' option. :(

4. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I've heard Stanley Clarke do it, it kinda just sounds like... well, a steel string acoustic guitar. Like bassmonkee said, it'll probably reduce any supporting role.

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA