Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zeh, Dec 7, 2003.

1. zeh

zeh

Jul 11, 2003
    Lisbon , Portugal
    Im thinking on getting an acoustic or semi/acoustic bass for practicing everywhere I want , whenever I feel like grabing a bass , but not having to be so "careful" as with a "normal" bass , Could u guys give me some advice (Cheap basses but not garbage ) :cool: :bassist: tkx

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have also been looking into one of these. Check out Tacomas and Ovations. They each have models that arent too expensive but dont suck.

3. stay away from the jasmine by takamine. i was duped into buying one when i was 15 and i regret it.... the electronics are useless because it feedsback so much, it sounds like a train coming at me through my amp, i tried everything from eq's, different positions in relation to the amp and a feedback buster soundhole cover. all to no avail. it also has a laminate top.... it looks great though, flamed maple all around, but freekin plywood underneath. i like the tacoma, haven't played an ovation enough to really have an opinion.

4. zeh

zeh

Jul 11, 2003
    Lisbon , Portugal
    How about the washburn ab10?? It sure has the looks ... but how about the sound? :cool: :bassist:

5. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I have a Takamine EG512C 4 string acoustic/electric with a pullout preamp and it's awesome. Only 500 and change at Guitar Center which you means you could prolly get a better deal at some other place, but the bass is great for what you pay. Plus, the electronics are fantastic. I have heard, although have no experience of my own, that the electronics in Tacomas are really junky so be careful there. I found that when I was trying mine out it sounded nearly as good as the 1000 dollar US Tacoma, but mine had a little less bottom. But what do you expect, it was 500 bucks more! Seriously check out the Takamine bro, you'll like it I bet. Oh yeah, and it only feeds back if you crank the gain up too high. And the electronics are REALLY easy to use and make it sound amazing, I actually saw a guy using one on a gig a couple weeks back and it sounded great. Good luck.

6. i should probably specify in case not everyone is familiar.... my bass is a jasmine by takamine, in other words it is to takamine what squire is to fender.

unplugged the bass isnt too ad though and it plays alright. i don't know if they even make it anymore.

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I've played the Ovations with the plastic backs a couple times, very disappointing. Not loud, and the backs were very...slippery. Combined with the rounded shape, the thing nearly flew out of my lap when I was playing it in store! The setup was just plain gross (really very few other ways to describe it) and the unplugged sound was not very appealing. I didn't even bother plugging it in.

8. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    I have a Jasmine that i like but it was damaged when shipped by UPS and is in shop right now. THey were not to thrilled to be working on a cheaper instrument but are "trying to save it." It is a few years old and different than the ones i see cheap on ebay right now. I like the way it plays and sounds. No problems with freeback through my ampeg rocket.