Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic BASS ! ! !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sysfran, Apr 19, 2004.

1. sysfran

sysfran

Apr 19, 2004
    What about acoustic bass?
    I would like to buy one, is it a good idea ? I would like to play with friends in nature, with congas, guitar, and singers. Is acoustic bass enough loud to play like that ?
    Wich one is a acoustic bass guitar ?
    i have a view on Fender BG32.
    Thank for answers.
    Sorry for my bad english, it's not my language....
    Francis

2. dig'em

dig'em

Feb 14, 2004
    Portland
    I've heard good things about the Warwick Alien Acoustic, but I havent gotten my hands on one to confirm it yet. Alien Stage Acoustic

3. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Hehe, stay far away from the Fender acoustic, I had one and it didn't sound that well unplugged, there are a few basses who are made for unplugged playing although many are electric/acoustic. Taylor is one of them, it's loud acoustic. I don't know of any inexpensive acoustic basses who are loud though. Perhaps Michael Kelly?

4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    My advice in general is to spend as little as humanly possible on one and, at that, go for something like a Tacoma.

If you spend more than $350.00 on one, you are wasting your money. you will likely find that you won't play it enough to justify your expense but that it's a "nice to have" when noodling in your living room.

5. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I have an Alien acoustic - it's not a "genuine Warwick" these days as it's made in Korea alongside the Rockbasses (IIRC), but I was pleasantly surprised at its quality. To my ears, it seemed louder and crisper than the Tacoma I owned before, but then again, cost more $$ too. IMHO - Tacoma Thunderchief is great, Warwick Alien is *fantastic*. The Tac also gave me a little feedback problem where I specifically play in my house, the Alien has nothing of the sort.

For the original poster, these two mentioned are both full-depth acoustic instruments which happen to also have electronics so they can be amplified. Anything less than a full-sized acoustic body will NOT give you any real volume of acoustic sound when unamplified - even if it *is* full sized, may still need aplification to compete with acoustic guitars and especially drums.

Tacoma's Thunderchief is a very easy go-to when somebody asks about acoustic bass guitars - it's available in 4 or 5 strings, and also is available fretless. Not even Warwick can offer that range, I just happen to love the 4-fretted Alien best myself. Tacoma is still great though - their Olympia line is cheaper by far, but they *sound* that much cheaper too.

6. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    takamine and jasmine are good too.

7. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I've had a few and the one that has the best projection unplugged is the Washburn AB34 by far. It sounds great plugged in also. My 2 cents.

8. sysfran

sysfran

Apr 19, 2004
    Thank 4 answers.
    I look for information about all these thins. My budget is not high. I want buy that kind of bass to get fun with friends playing outside. Should be around 500$. I think Taylor is out of budget. Why not a warwick alien or washburn but it's over $ limits, a second hand ? Why not.

9. :hyper: Good thread. i've been in the market for a decent acoustic with electronics. What is the price range of the warwick alien? Also, how do the Michael Kellys sound? Do M.K.'s come with electronics? :bassist:

10. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    Maybe you'd like a resonator? It looks nice and people say its loud. A bit tinny maybe.

11. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I have heard the Michael Kelly's are more about "pretty" than function. They come with Fishman electronics. I had one for awhile and didn't like the projection. For some reason the Dean Performer had great projection, I didn't get to plug it in though. If you can find a used Washburn AB34 I'd jump on it. I got mine used for 525 shipped with case.

12. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    quickly for sysfran and bottomfeedins: the Alien was just under 1100 bucks.

cheers
    d

13. kLumick

kLumick

Apr 4, 2004
    I have a Dean Performer acoustic, and I really like it. It comes with an ok pickup in it, so if you want to, you can plug in and play. It was pretty cheap too, around $330

14. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    I have a Jasmine, made by Takamine, and like it. It was $300 used. i think they are cheaper now on ebay, or maybe you can get a new one for that price. I've heard the Olympias, made by Tacoma, are nice. Tacomas are suppsed to be the best acoustic basses, and i read a descripton of an Olympia as 90 percent of a Tacoma for a third of the price.

15. Well that decides it for me about the Alien. I wouldn't be using it that much. I saw a brand new Epiphone for around $500-$600. Didn't get to try it though. It had electronics and was big and beautiful :) . How about those?

16. I have a Washburn AB-20 and I love it, it's the bass by the couch and I have also giged and recorded with it quite a bit. With any ABG you'll need a small amp no matter what the situation even where everyone else is 'acoustic' but if there is a small PA your ABG will sound quite nice plugged in. I regularly am invited to a songwriters round table where songs are shared and discussed and I use a SWR LA8 that works perfect in the otherwise all acoustic setting. I also play with an acoustic trio and the vocalist has a Carvin AG100D that we all plug into that works perfectly.

17. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    im interested in a six string fretless ABG, but i haven't had much luck finding any

18. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    This sounds funny but for an acoustic, looks are very important. The appeal is your playing an acoustic instrument that fits in visually with the other unplugged axes. But in reality, any public performance is in some sense electric, even iof it's just miked. A very small amp and an electric would probably sound better, but it wouldnt look as nice. So get a beauty!

19. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    The only real reason I bought mine was to use at local bluegrass festivals for informal jams in the camp lots. I have no desire really to plug it in, though I wouldn't be averse.

If you are playing it in such an atmosphere, obviously the projection and sound will matter a hell of a lot more than appearance.

Mine is actually an Olympia (I misspoke in my earlier post) and it received rave reviews when i played it at a bluegrass campfest last September. It REALLY cut through while jamming with a banjo player, a mando player and a guitarist, all of which (including me) were playing without amplification.

But, to be honest, the acoustic bass is really a temporary fix until I can justify buying a good (non-Cremona) upright. I'll also be taken a HELL of a lot more seriously at bluegrass jams.

20. I have a Hondo 4 string fretted acoustic bass I purchased for around $130. Its a nice little bass, especially for the price. Its plenty loud enough for me, and has a good tone. The only problem with it is this wierd dead space on the 14th fret of the G string. All in all, I like my acoustic, but I agree with the others that say you're really not going to play it that much, so don't spend too much on one.

I'm not sure if its just mine, or just acoustic basses in general, but its seems like they're built like those huge six string mexican mariachi basses.