Acoustic bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass law, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Bass law

Bass law

Jun 26, 2019
    Does anyone have any idea about acoustic bass? I want to buy one for home use only but have no idea about what to look for.

2. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Lots of wonderful knowledgeable about the subject TB-ers can be found here:)
    Acoustic bass fetish club Part 2

Jughead6 and bholder like this.
  3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Unplugged, they're not very loud. I can't even hear mine when I'm trying to learn a song on my ipod. However, plugged in, with the proper tapewound strings, my Exotica's tone is incredible...never heard better, and I've tried a dozen. The thing is, plugged in, you can change the tone...and dramatically, depending on which acoustic bass you're playing.
    Even with a P bass, people play around with the tone knob, and the equalizer and other amp controls.
    Unplugged, there's only so much tone you can get out of an acoustic bass.
    Now, if you don't care about plugging in, you have a lot of options.
    If you're talking about not only learning but one day playing along with friends in an acoustic setting, it definitely pays to buy something a little bit better.
    I recommend this Dean every chance I get and I don't even bother trying anything else these days...and I usually try out between 50 and 60 basses a year.
    [​IMG]

Bass law, JC Nelson and B-Mac like this.
  4. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

^
    What he said...
    ...for obvious reasons :)
    3999D987-6A1D-42E4-B925-7B4C5D209456.jpeg

jd56hawk likes this.
  5. jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Saw one with the Aphex System not too long ago.
    Should've jumped on it, but unlike so many other basses that sit around Guitar Center month after month, it was gone the following week!

B-Mac likes this.
  6. I've owned about 3 over the last 10-15 years. My honest opinion, get a semi hollow bass. You can still hear them unplugged and you can use them in a band context.

Most acoustic basses are also a little uncomfortable with the big body. That's just one guy's opinion though. Maybe you'd get more use out of an acoustic bass than I did.

Bass law and FDR Jones like this.
  7. PockySteve

PockySteve Supporting Member

I have a Fender CB-60SCE (awkward name). It's a beautiful bass that's easy and comfortable to play. Sounds great and projects well unplugged, and also sounds great with a rich tone plugged in. The Fishman pickup and preamp are awesome.

8. I play my Taylor GS Mini frequently. The small size and light weight make it easy to grab for a few minutes when I don't want to plug in. The built-in tuner is handy too. Would I play it on a gig? No, but I wouldn't have it as my only bass, but I have others.

I played a National Resophonic bass years ago and love it, but it was discontinued. I noticed Dean had a resophonic - anyone try it?
    Dean Resonator Acoustic/Electric Bass CBK
    or heard of it?

9. jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Might sound better with the proper strings but it sounds pretty loud.
    Five times louder, though?
    Please!

Now, this one?
    Sounds like a good guitar!

B-Mac likes this.
  10. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    I was very satisfied with my used Fender Kingman ABG.
    Until I bought this...

[​IMG]

Is it really worth 5x what I paid for my Kingman?
    Absolutely.
    Especially when soloed or when playing alone at home, where it's nuanced voice really shines & can be fully appreciated.

11. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

I have the Tacoma Thunder Chief. I tried several other brands to arrive at this one. I love it but have done an "acoustic" show in a long, long time.

12. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Cheaps ones are bad, good - very expensive.

Bass law and mattbass6945 like this.
  13. David Heath

David Heath

Apr 7, 2017
    Davo
    Rob Allen is the place to drool. When you've done that come back and post!
    Davo

14. David Heath

David Heath

Apr 7, 2017
    Davo
    I see the point of an acoustic bass sounding as close as a bassist will to an upright bass. But, as said, don't expect it to hold it's own with other musicians. It's too quiet.
    Peace
    Davo

15. Martin BCPA4? I also have one. Quite simply a stunning instrument.

I don't think an acoustic bass is meant to sound like a DB at all. It's kind of its own unique thing.

superdick2112, equill, 40Hz and 2 others like this.
  16. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I have one as well. Best sounding acoustic bass I’ve played (I tried a bunch including Taylor). The only issue is that they cab be hard to find.

17. burgerdj

burgerdj

Dec 4, 2006
    I’ve gone through several in my playing life. My favorite was the Tacoma, but it was HUGE and difficult to play anywhere other than my couch. Despite its size, it really needs to be amped for any type of performance with other instruments. For that reason, don’t get too caught up on acoustic volume. Focus on find a bass with a good acoustic tone and a quality transducer and preamp if you ever plan to play with other musicians.

18. ahadl2500

ahadl2500 Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Greenwood, IN
    Not sure what price range you are after. For Sub $1000 (where I am assuming you are looking for a home practice bass), I would probably look at Michael Kelly or one of the Warwick Rockbass Alien basses. I owned a Michael Kelly Dragonfly and mostly liked it (found it slightly uncomfortable, but that varies with the player). I planned on buying an Alien at one point after playing one a few times in a local shop, but ended up going another route. The Spector Timbre basses always looked interesting to me too, but I have never had the chance to try one out. I suppose my point is to go try a few if you can find them. If not buy from somewhere with a return policy.

19. I’ve done a couple of nice recordings with my Tacoma; La Bella tapes and direct. Credit the engineer too.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021