1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Acoustic Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by craigc, Apr 7, 2005.

1. craigc

craigc

Sep 27, 2004
    Can anyone recommend a quality Acoustic bass for a resonable price. Want one to practice with when I travel.

2. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Crafter BA-400, strung with Thomastik acoustics

3. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    What range qualifies as a decent price?

4. craigc

craigc

Sep 27, 2004
    $300 to $500

5. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Try to find a used Carvin AC40. Light, thin, good tone. Awesome stuff.

6. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    These are really cool basses but they are next to silent when played without an amp. How about a Thunderchief from Olympia by Tacoma?

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I have a michaeil kelly fretless (they have fretted also) that I'm really happy with. they can be bought new on ebay for around $300. the ones they sell on ebay are supposed to have a little cosmetic flaw. the only flaw i ever found on mine was an almost microscopic paint bubble on the underside of the neck. less of a flaw than i think any other bass i've ever bought new.

I also have a Carlo Robelli that I won about 8 years ago. I've knocked the hell out of it and taken it everywhere including a weeks worth of camping in heavy rain and it still plays beautifully. Louder than the Michael Kelly unplugged, MK definitely sounds better plugged in. I use the CR at a weekly gig plugged in though, and nobody's ever complained. Great action on it too. I think if you find the right one, they're worth more than their weight in gold.

My $.02.

8. Steve-O18

Steve-O18

Feb 19, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    +1 for the Micheal Kelly.

A buddy of mine bought a prototype Micheal Kelly bass for 200$ last year and it sounds incredible unplugged. It had no problem coming through in a jam situation with 2 or 3 acoustic guitars. Really great instrument.

Steve