Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by craigc, Apr 7, 2005.

1. craigc

craigc

Sep 27, 2004
    Can anyone recommend a quality Acoustic bass for a resonable price. Want one to practice with when I travel.

2. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Crafter BA-400, strung with Thomastik acoustics

3. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    What range qualifies as a decent price?

4. craigc

craigc

Sep 27, 2004
    $300 to $500

5. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Try to find a used Carvin AC40. Light, thin, good tone. Awesome stuff.

6. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    These are really cool basses but they are next to silent when played without an amp. How about a Thunderchief from Olympia by Tacoma?

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I have a michaeil kelly fretless (they have fretted also) that I'm really happy with. they can be bought new on ebay for around $300. the ones they sell on ebay are supposed to have a little cosmetic flaw. the only flaw i ever found on mine was an almost microscopic paint bubble on the underside of the neck. less of a flaw than i think any other bass i've ever bought new.

I also have a Carlo Robelli that I won about 8 years ago. I've knocked the hell out of it and taken it everywhere including a weeks worth of camping in heavy rain and it still plays beautifully. Louder than the Michael Kelly unplugged, MK definitely sounds better plugged in. I use the CR at a weekly gig plugged in though, and nobody's ever complained. Great action on it too. I think if you find the right one, they're worth more than their weight in gold.

My $.02.

8. Steve-O18

Steve-O18

Feb 19, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    +1 for the Micheal Kelly.

A buddy of mine bought a prototype Micheal Kelly bass for 200$ last year and it sounds incredible unplugged. It had no problem coming through in a jam situation with 2 or 3 acoustic guitars. Really great instrument.

Steve