Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 5s_tring freak, May 14, 2001.

1. Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent sounding acoustic bass? I have up to $1000 to spend but I have no idea what to get as I haven't a chance to try many out.

2. jimclark68

jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    The Tacoma CB-10. Got mine new for $829.

3. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    just be aware that slapping on a hollowbody acoustic is pretty much impossible - if you lean towards the slap-pop side of things, get an acoustic "without the hole in the middle" :D

4. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Hi....first let me say that I am writing an article on Acoustic Bass Guitars for TalkBass. It will be quite in-depth and will cover a lot of questions I see popping up the forums.
    I own a few ABGs and use acoustics as my principle solo instrument (I am mainly a solo bassist...and yes, I do make money at that!).
    Like with any bass...you get what you pay for. ABGs come in many sizes and "flavours". You need to look around and find one that is right for you.
    Then, there is the whole "Unplugged" phenomenom. If play real hard, and your guitar playing pal doesn't, then it is possible to a respectable volume out of these. But really, if you want to play "sans-amp", the physics of ABGs simply do not allow for it.
    Please see my upcoming article for a detailed explanation of this, as well as impedence matching, amplification of ABGs (yes, there are tricks to that, too), strings, and playing techniques.
    Speaking of playing techniques...it is NOT impossible to slap on an ABG. It only requires a change and hand positon, leverage, and how you approach the slap technique. Having a soundhole or not is not the what causes the "problem", either. I used to think it was impossible, as I was having great problems trying to do it. Then I heard Jonas Hellborg slap like crazy on an ABG. Made me re-think a few things, and now I slap quite well and easily on any of my ABGs (all different sizes) or semi-acoustic basses.
    I guess I will be adding a "slapping on the acoustic" part to the article.....
    Max

5. Martin BG-1E........ (Which is what I bought yesterday)..... $1,100

6. Two ABG for under a grand I've owned: An Ovation ABG; played and sounded good with a pick; not balanced well, some neck dive. I've owned an Epiphone El Capitain; did not play well or sound good played any style, pick, fingers or slap; but I do have a friend who likes his El Capitain. My present ABG is a fretless Taylor AB-2; plays well, sounds great, but for $2700 out the door, it better play well and sound great! I've tried the Martin ABG; I liked it and will probably buy one in the future; Guitar Center in San Diego had one for under a grand. Good Luck with what ever you decide.