Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

acoustic bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SANFORD, May 28, 2001.

1. SANFORD

SANFORD

Sep 23, 2000
    thinking about buying a taylor ab-1. any input from taylor or other ab players appreciated

2. I don't know what their basses are like, but my dad plays a taylor acoustic guitar, it's really nice.

3. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    I have a Guild which is very nice but the Taylor I played smokes it in every way!

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The ones I've played are nice to look at, but tonally unimpressive, and very quiet, given how large they are. Certainly not as nice as their guitars.

I wouldn't buy one; however, I've heard that Taylor and Klein tweaking the bracing to improve tone.

5. bumpcity

bumpcity

May 12, 2001
    NYC
    Just bought an El Capitan 5 string fretless. I really like it. It has the jumbo body style, like a Gibson J-200, and wide, maybe 5 or 6 inches. Gives it a really deep tone. The electronics are electar, with sub-bass (!), bass, mid, treble, brightness, volume, AND a feedback reduction circuit, which is key! I got it for $734 with the hardshell case. I love that my acoustic is a fretless too, I think the acoustic bass really complements the sound of fretless, but I personally like a more full bodied sound as opposed to a more nasal sounding fretless, There are many excellent fretless guys (Manring I think may be the best example) that really pull off that sound well, I just happen not to be one of those guys.

I have never seen the Taylor, and their guitars are sweet, especially the ones with the flamed Koa tops. Very nice. If I had known that they made acoustics I may have waited, but Epiphone just discontinued the 5 string fretless El Capitan now, so I am glad I grabbed mine...it was one of the last ones out of Tenessee!

If you do pick one up, let us all know how it plays and sounds!

6. jimclark68

jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    Tacoma makes a very nice acoustic bass, the CB-10 Thunderchief. I have played several acoustics but have never played a Martin or a Taylor. However, there have been several posts on this site by those who have compared it to Martin and Taylor, and apparently it more than holds its own. Some feel that it is the superior bass. I have been very happy with mine, and it is a very good deal (I paid $825) for a bass that is comparable to the upper echelon such as Martin and Taylor.

7. TedP66

TedP66

Aug 25, 2000
    I was shopping around a while ago for acoustics, and tried a good deal of them. In the best bang for buck categorie I liked the Tacoma Thunderchief (bought it), and the ovation with the normal sound hole (not the one with the leafs). Taylor was the best sounding and most visually appealling, but I'm not an F'n millionaire. The biggest problem I encountered shopping was the basses setup. The big stores like Mars Music ang Guitar center had not done any kind of setup on the acoustics I played. The actions were always too low, and they were generally out of tune. It took me while to find different models that had all been set up correctly.

Ted

8. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I played those Martin acoustics.. $949. VERY nice bass. I just sat there and played for an hour of it. I love it. very nice string feel.. very nice neck.. very nice everything

DM:D