Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WarThumb, Jan 31, 2006.

1. WarThumb

WarThumb

Dec 13, 2005
    Norway
    Anyone have or have tried an acoustic bass? I'm thinking of buying one for small acoustic gigs. I think I will look at the Epiphone El Segundo, the Ibanez AEB-10E and maybe the Takamine EG512CF. Anyone tried these basses? How will they perform live?

2. i've tried an ibanez acoustic bass, i'm not really into acoustic basses much but it seemed decent. it had a tuner on it so i freaked out, YAY! but it'd probly get the job done. i dunno about the epi, but its not fair to compare an ibanez to a takamine. not a bad bass though, kinda buzzed and rattled when you played it too hard, but thats probly cause i was playing it like how a dufus humps a doorknob.

3. There should definately be a sticky about this topic, there's a new one of these threads several times a week. I've played a few and owned a michael kelly dragonfly, bottom line is the biggest thing most people are looking for in an acoustic bass is portability, but you don't really get it. They are expensive, don't sound as good as cheaper electrics do. They either aren't loud enough unplugged, or feedback monsters plugged in.

If you really have your heart set on one, expect to pay a few grand for a non-laminate one that will actually be of quality and sound good, also expect to still buy an amp. Otherwise you can settle for a lesser one. In my experience and opinion, you are a lot better off investing in a nice quality portable smaller combo amp and good electric, you will not be saving too much money either way, and going with an electric and combo is a lot more versatile and usefull than an acoustic. It's also just as portable.

Of coarse you might find me to be insane, some people own and love them.

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The Larivee acoustic is one of the better sounding ones. I played one in a store in Toronto for a while and liked it more than any others. It was about $1000 Canadian. But it too is not loud enough unamplified to play out with more than an acoustic guitar or two. Sounds good amplified though through something like the little GK MB 150 combo.

5. I've been using an Ibanez AEB 10E live for a year now no problems for me. Sounds great amped when playing with full band. I've done a few shows using the built in DI XLR output worked great with no noise. The built in tuner is handy for those gigs when I'm just taking the bass. My other tuner is racked with my amp. I'm using this in a 7 piece dark folk/americana that is all acoustic. I think it's great bass for the price. Unplugged it's loud enough to jam with one guitar but when you add a banjo and mandolin amplification (only slight) is needed. To me that's a good excuse to buy a pignose battery powered bass amp. That would give me plenty of volume for those backyard jams. I bet you could find one these Ibanez's on ebay now for around $200.

6. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    You'll get plenty of opinions by using the search feature. Type in "ABG"
    or "acoustic".

7. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Connecticut
    I agree there should be a sticky about this.

Tacoma Thunderchiefs are one of the few that produce enough volume to be heard, and still produce a great acoustic tone.