acoustic bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pcollin, Feb 8, 2006.

1. pcollin

Dec 22, 2005
    Portland, Maine
    Don't know if I'm treading on sacred ground here but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent acoustic bass. Something in the $300-$500 range? I enjoy my electric basses to no end but there are times when I get together with friends for accoustic jams and I thought about maybe adding an acoustic bass to my arsenal. Thanks!
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You may want to search on "ABG", which is how these are usually described. Lots of good info in past threads!

If your budget stretches to $500, I'd save up a few more bucks and go for a used Tacoma Thunderchief. They really do kill, and are about the only ABG that can keep up with one or two acoustic guitars without amplification (easily with a felt pick; tougher to do fingerstyle).

In the $300 range, I've always liked the Deans. However, play before you buy - there's a lot of sample variation. The imported version of the Tacoma is called Olympia, and it carries the same caution.
  3. Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Otherwise known as Acoustic Bass Guitars for non-talkbass searches.

Guild made some nice ABGs, but they don't have them on their website so I assume that they're out of production now.
  4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Agreed. Specifically the Performer bass which is a big step up in both quality and price from the lower end "Playmate". I would go so far as to actually recommend the Performer model, but not necessarily the Playmate.

Also, Musician's Friend has some of the Michael Kelly dragonfly basses on sale right now in their clearance section. The 5 string fretless is tempting to me, though after living with my 4 string Tacoma for so long I don't know if I would ever play it.

For "getting together with friends for an acoustic jam" you're going to need a small practice amp. No ABG projects very well except the Tacoma/Olympias. Those have no problem keeping up with a quiet/medium guitarist, but get a loud guitarrist or a few of them together and you can't keep up even with one of those. A tiny practice amp is probably all that's needed. Rondo ABGs are probably pretty good, as most likely are their little practice amps.
  5. Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    I'd have to reccomend Michael Kelly. They are beautiful looking ABGs. They play really nice. However I have heard things about consistency in quality, but my experience w/ them is good. they also land nicely in your price range.

I own a 5 string fretless Dragonfly. Plays like a dream. Pretty good unplugged, & downright haunting plugged in. Has 3 band EQ for the electronic bits.