1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Acoustic Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by clockworkwar, Apr 4, 2006.

1. clockworkwar

clockworkwar

Mar 20, 2006
    England
    Hello,

Is an Acoustic Bass a good investment? Can anybody give me some sound samples of some?

2. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
  3. paulodumb

paulodumb

Jan 16, 2006
    ypsilanti, mi
    It's a good investment if you want something to play while you're sitting on the couch. It won't be loud enough to be heard unplugged if you're playing with other people.
    That said, I get a lot of use out of my cheapo ABG (while sitting on the couch).

4. metalbass.com

metalbass.com

Mar 20, 2006
    Not too many people talk about it but the Only 5 String
    Bass Jaco Played was his Acoustic

[​IMG]

Built in 1974,
    It featured a 34"-scale fretless neck with a Brazilian rosewood fingerboard with maple veneer fretmarkers, Brazilian rosewood back and sides and a spruce top. Jaco strung it with Rotosound roundwounds.

5. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    If you can, check out some Jonas Hellborg material as well. He is one of the few people using ABGs to thier fullest.

6. TheJimster

TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    i'm not a big fan of acoustics. I mean they ahve an awesome sound but are a real pain in the neck to keep in tune. The guys who work at my local music shop have to retune every acoustic bass in their entire diplay stock so that the neck doesn't warp. I mena they retune their diplay instruments anyway but these are every 12 hours. Go for it if you feel like retuning but overall i say go for it!

7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I was going to school in Fla, in 1975.
    Got to know Jaco a little, this bass was tuned EADGC.

8. I have a Fender GB-41 SCE AGB. It is the first bass that I've owned. It's BIG but I've learned to handle it. No, I'm not as fast and clean on it as my solid body bass, but the AGB is a lot of fun to play. Plug it into an amp and it has a very sweet sound. Everyone that hears it this way always comments how much they like the sound. Then they ask, "How the hell do you play that thing? It's so big!" :)

As for the unplugged loudness, it's okay but gets drowned out by 6 string acoustics. That's why I recently bought a Pignose 30 portable, battery operated bass amp. Now, I can join into a nice earthy jam outside with guitar players and still be heard without straining.

Paul Mac

9. clockworkwar

clockworkwar

Mar 20, 2006
    England
    Great! il think about getting one at £250 kinda cheap but i dont think i need anything else really.

10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man

I was going to reccomend looking into some of Jonas's stuff, acoustics can be great fun to play with, especially if you can mic them up!

11. anyone had expereicned of tanglewood acoustic basses?

as it happens someone has organised a sort of guitar roadshow at work (yes during work time!!!!) and tanglewood are coming along + local retailer with a whole bunch of stuff for people to try out....so I was thiking I might check them out...

12. clockworkwar

clockworkwar

Mar 20, 2006
    England
    Sounds very cool! Any idea of whats the best cheapish acoustic bass? £200-£350

13. well if I get my hands on any tanglewood acoustics I will post my impressions at weekend....

14. Joenok

Joenok

Jul 1, 2005
    Arctic Norway
    i got my Wasburn AB-20 today.. Plugged it in and tested it a bit!
    Great first impression, can´t wait to try it live this weekend.

and how do I know if it has a Piezo?.. Can´t open it...:meh:

15. clockworkwar

clockworkwar

Mar 20, 2006
    England
    Great! Its a sum up of getting an Acoustic or getting a 5 string Ibanez i think il go with the acoustic as it just sounds better for blues and stuff.

16. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Probably not. I mean, an acoustic guitar would have that tradition blues vibe in there somewhere if you get it setup right, but no acoustic bass is going to have a traditional blues vibe on it (in what context?). Unless you get one of those electro acoustic deals (like a turner or allen) to mimic the sound of an upright.

Just thought I would let you know that. The ibanez might be the way to go if you can get a decent jazz or P sound out of it. That said, I got a Kramer Ferrington, and had a Thunderchief which both do decent for what they are.

And, I could be wrong.....

17. clockworkwar

clockworkwar

Mar 20, 2006
    England
    I already have a P bass, im not talking about the old time stuff im talking about the more lively modern stuff, with guitars and acoustics and stuff i thought it sounds good for it.

18. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Well, if you can try one in that scenario. When everything is mic'ed, they come across differently.

19. Big Bottom

Big Bottom

Nov 25, 2004
  20. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I dont think acoustic basses would be worth investing in for financial gain but i guess their cool if you want to jam by the camp fire.