acoustic bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    what is a good acoustic for under $300???

2. i spent a while looking for a "good" Acoustic , hit every store and pawn shop I could find and played just about every one they make from those 200 Ebay "Johnsons?" to top of the line models and to tell U the truth the only one I found that was worth buying was the Tacoma Thunderchief and thats a upwards of 900$. And I mean worth Buying at all not just price wise but none but the Tacoma even came close to a sound I liked.
    Just MHO
  3. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I second the Tacoma. I honestly think its one of the best acoustics out there.. The best I've played.. they are around $900.. a cheap $300 acoustic probably isn't going to have great sound and not be very loud unplugged.

.02 cents
  4. I have the Tacoma; got it new on sale from It was $699 including shipping, and it has the E4 electronics package with the Prefix Plus preamp.
  5. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    ok, ill ckeck it out, umm, i just got the new Bass Player today, and in the Samash ad, they show a Carlo Robelli SBC200SB, for $279.99, any info about that?

6. I read in another thread that that is the House brand for sam Ash and they were not all that good.
  7. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    For under $300 buy a Rogue abg304.

I have no regrets buying my rogue ABG. It feels good, plays okay (for a $180 bass) and I have found it to be invaluable for practicing around the house. I even like playing it at band practice, though my others basses sound better.
  8. bassboat

Sep 27, 2001
    Tacoma! The best with roundwound strings. The Taylor sounds nice amplified with nylon tape-wound strings.
  9. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Find me a Tacoma for under $300 (as this post is asking for) and I will buy it too.

As long as you are at it, find me a 5 string Tacoma for under $300. :)

Sorry man, I am not familiar with the Carlo Robelli bass.
  10. I have an electric Carlo Robelli bass(I think I am the one that started the thread mentioned above), and I love it! I know nothing about the acoustic line. Everyone that sees and plays my electric bass is very impressed until they see the name, and are like "what kind is this?"

Anyway - there are definatly duds out there in the Robelli line! Go to Sam Ash, find a straight one!, play it, de-tune it, tune it, play it some more, tell them to hold it, play it again, etc ... Then if you are satisfied buy it!

For the price I found mine to be very very worth while! - Yes I will upgrade in time, but for now it is really NOT an entry level feeling bass...

Good luck, and let me know ... I may be interested in what you find out.
  11. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Under $300...good luck.

I had an Epiphone El Capitan. It was the loudest acoustically that I could find. It was over $300 though. You might get the Applause (Ovation cheapo model) and get lucky. I thought it was OK.
  12. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Funky, how do you like the Tacoma? Do you think these would be good in a 5 string? I'm torn between these, Rob Allens, or even a semi-hollow body bass. Apparently, you really need to amplify when vocals, an acoustic guitar, and light drums are involved, so I'm not sure if an acoustic bass even makes sense. I'm thinking a good semi-hollow, a small combo amp, power converter/12v battery might be the way to go. Or maybe a fretless solidbody. Any other ideas?
  13. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    From what I have learned in the many discussions here about ABG, you are not likely going to be able to use it for live playing. Maybe, with one acoustic guitarist who plays lightly. But Especially NOT with drums! It has some tonal qualities you may like and it's great for practicing by yourself, or with your radio. But a bass requires power for volume. That is why a 50w guitar amp will over power a 100w bass amp easily. (and why an acoustic guitar will dround out an acoustic bass!) The only exception that I have seen is something called a guitarron (I think that's it), it has a much larger body, hense more volume. But that is not exactly the same as the bass you are used to playing. I also toyed with the idea of using a Cello. It's tuned ADGC, and definately louder than ann ABG.

Zulu I wasn't trying to be a jerk. Just pointing out the real question wasn't being answered. Sorry if I came off like that.
  14. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I share your sentiments on the $300 Tacoma, or any other "good" brand for that matter.

I didn't have any thought that you came off like a jerk. The thought never crossed my mind!!! I'm one of the few here who don't have to deliberately try to be are not amoung us.

Nice Pic. Good to see you back in rare form!
  15. My Turner Electroline fretless 5 sounds very "acoustic-like," but it is way out of the $300 range. I'd have to agree with the majority of people who say ABG's don't really work unplugged. Although the Tacoma comes the closest--it is very loud. I never intended to not play it unplugged, though. I'd be interested to see and hear Dave Holland's MTD ABG!
  16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Raise your budget a tad (~$400) and you can get a used El Capitan.
  17. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Perhaps a little bit out of your range, but the Godin A4 is a superb electric/acoustic. You can find them (used) for around $650. They are great basses with exceptional quality