1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Acoustic Bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ClaytonH, Apr 22, 2009.

1. ClaytonH

ClaytonH

Mar 10, 2009
    Hudson, OH
    I want to build a 6-string acoustic bass. Instead of bending the sides i think it will be easier to hollow the inside out of a body blank. But I need to know where i can find the parts like the bridge and wood. I got the fingerboard all ready picked out which is going to bee bloodwood. And i have a few questions.

1) Sould the neck be bolt on or neck-through?
    2) Should I buy a acoustic guitar top wood?

Plese Help.

2. ClaytonH

ClaytonH

Mar 10, 2009
    Hudson, OH
    can some one tell me where I could get a six string bridge please?

3. Hi.

For acoustic instruments, You're "supposed" to make the bridge and most of the parts by yourself. That holds true whether the instrument is a bass, a guitar, a mandolin etc.

The reason is mainly the fact that a builder of an acoustic instrument is less likely to buy the part(s), as the needed skills and vision is already there. And the bridge, tailpiece (if carved), etc. varies greatly from design to design.

1) The dove-tail neck, set neck, bolt on and neck through are all possible solutions. Do what You feel comfortable with.

2) If You want any real acoustic properties for the instrument, an acoustic guitar top material would be a great start. Any material that vibrates will amplify and project the sound but IMHO it's better to stick with the proven ones.

Regards
    Sam

4. A very complete book on acoustic guitar building(steel- & nylon-string)is Guitarmaking: Tradition & Technology, by William R. Cumpiano & Jonathan D. Natelson.
    Also, have patience; it's poor form to bump more often than once every 24 hours. :)

5. +1

Read Cumpiano & Natelson, and go from there. Building an acoustic is way more than building a solidbody.

6. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    +1

The acoustics of the wood matter very little in a solidbody and mean everything in an acoustic.