acoustic bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockbassist1087, Dec 13, 2002.

1. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I always wanted an upright bass for some jazz and walking lines, but I played a few and realized that I cant get used to the feel of one. Does anybody know of any electric basses that have more of an upright bass tone?
  2. handlax14

Aug 13, 2002
    i may be horribly misguided in saying this but i believe that basses with piezo bridges tend to sound more acoustic like. i know carvin has a piezo bridge option and im sure others too. if im wrong im sure someone will correct me. hope it helps

3. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    I've never played one but I've read that the Godin acoustic/electrics can give you a upright sound.
  4. BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    I can't say for sure about the "upright sound" but I can't allow this thread to go on without suggesting you track down a Tacoma CB10 Thunderchief acoustic and give it a try.

Tacoma has come out with additional bass models recently. I can only assume they sound just as good if not better than their CB10.
  5. Lechuzon

Nov 7, 2002
    Washington DC
    You can also try to learn a right hand muting techinque
    that I use ( ala Anthony Jackson) that can help you get a nice and round upright-like tone ... you also nee to change your eq a bit ... I also play upright.
    just my 2 cents !!
    I hope it helps !:cool:
  6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Most acoustic bass guitarss will give you more of an "uprightish" tone than solid body electrics. Particularly the round character of the note and the fast acoustic style decay.

They sound good, I really like the sound of my CB10E Thunderchief from Tacoma.

However, they don't sound like an upright. Maybe like halfway between an electric and an upright.
  7. Yep, most upright-like sound I've heard from an acoustic bass guitar. Well, that was a 3year old bass I heard about 4 years ago, so I don't know what newer models may be like, but they certainly did a pretty good job of it then. I've tried the Tacoma, and to be honest it sounds to my ear like an acoustic bass guitar (as it is) but not really like an upright, IMHO.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

JACK CASADY BASS by EPIPHONE is got a very upright sound to it ,plus the bass is alot of fun to play unpluged. I have played the Hofner Cavern this also has a good upright vibe to it but my first grab is the JACK CASADY BASS. :)
  9. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I will have to second (or third) the Godin comments.
    I have a fretted Godin A4 acoustic/electric and a fretless A5 five string (with high C), both are quite capable of getting some serious faux-upright tones (so much so that guitarists are always looking back at me on gigs to check if I haven't pulled a doghouse out from the shadows!)
    I have found that TI Jazz Rounds and Acousticore strings both can produce this sound with great ease....
    ....but the Godin basses offer SO much more! I also can get some quite remarkable, ringing electric tones too (as well as something that rivals my 67 P Bass for the old-school vintage sound), and even some very intriguing quasi-baritone acoustic guitar sounds (esp. chording with TI Acousticores).
    Great basses with a lot of "bang for the buck", so to speak.
    I have tried just about every A/E or ABG out there (even some wonderful, yet incredibly expensive ones), and IMHO the top models(for overal tones, playability, and craftsmanship) were Godin, Rick Turner/Renaissance,Rob Allen, and the Azola Jazzman and Nouveau models.