Acoustic Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassist911, Sep 12, 2010.

1. bassist911

bassist911

Aug 27, 2010
  2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Useless without an amplifier, unless you're playing alone. But still, you'll enjoy it.

3. gaelicwinter

gaelicwinter

May 3, 2010
    I've always found mine a gas to play, and most useful when the guitarists have their unplugged acoustics, like at the beach. I find the action higher than an electric and the lack of a suitable thumb rest takes getting used to, but that just encourages me to try different techniques. Mine is a Takamine.

4. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    I have the epiphone, el capitan. Its great to be able to play on the go, weekends away etc. You can get a little playing in without hauling the heavy stuff.

5. Bigmouth

Bigmouth

Jul 16, 2010
    Denver CO
    Enjoy your new bass. I got a Martin acoustic/electric. The body is only 2 1/2 inches deep, but it's plenty loud unplugged and doesn't bother my condo neighbors.

6. That's exactly the same AEB Ibanez I bought.

Love it. Cherish it. Won't sleep with it though.

It has all sorts of sustain and tone to die for - but get a soundhole (Planet Waves is good) plug and after you trim it 'just right' to fit, you can really crank it up for great volume too.

You need to cut away some of the outer flange to clear the fretboard where it extends over the soundhole.

Without the plug - you'll feed back pretty bad if you turn up your amp even if you switch phase on the EQ/Mixer/Tuner.

In a full year I have not had to replace the batteries yet.

Try this YouTube vid to see Nathan East play his acoustic bass:::

Fullscreen%20capture%209122010%2094124%20PM.png

7. bassist911

bassist911

Aug 27, 2010
    yeah man i love it. it sounds good through the amp but i like it unplugged better, and like you said above no thumb rest makes it just another technique to get use to. also it helped me to start trying to use a pick!

8. notverygood

notverygood

Feb 11, 2010
    I have the Ibanez as well and really enjoy it. I like playing it with a wah pedal. Makes pratice fun.

9. jazzblade

jazzblade

Jun 21, 2005
    Northern Cal
    Have it, Love it. Keep it next to the couch when I'm watching TV.

10. jazzblade

jazzblade

Jun 21, 2005
    Northern Cal
    That is exactly why I got mine ;)

11. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Not necessarily. My acoustic keeps up with two acoustic guitars just fine, and can nearly drown out one, and it's just a cheapo Johnson.

Of course, it also has no frets, so no fret buzz to keep me from really beating the crap out of the strings.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021