Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic Basses - Fender vs. Ibanez

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by guitarkim79, Sep 24, 2005.

1. guitarkim79

guitarkim79

May 8, 2002
    Chicago
    I checked out two acoustic basses today at Guitar Center - an Ibanez AEB10E and a Fender GB-41. The Fender was twice as much as the Ibanez ($700 for the Fender, $350 for the Ibanez). While I thought the Fender was louder and had a better tone, I'm not sure the tone was worth twice as much as that of the Ibanez.

The necks felt similar to me. The Fender body was bigger, but it didn't feel much different from the Ibanez when I was playing it. Overall, I liked both basses. I just have to decide if the Fender is worth twice as much to me.

Has anyone else tried these models? I've read some of the comments on the Ibanez AEB10E on here, and they all seem favorable. I haven't heard much about the Fender GB-41, though. Any comments on them would be appreciated!

I've read all the acoustic bass threads, so I know all about the Thunderchief Nation. I haven't been able to find any Tacoma Thunderchiefs or Olympia's to try. Since these basses are supposed to be huge, I'd really need to try one before buying. So, unless one pops up soon, I'll need to pick between the Ibanez and Fender.