Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic basses ...which one would you have

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by srj, Sep 5, 2003.

1. I was thinking about buying an acoustic bass.

So should i buy thin body no feed back
    or large body and feed back
    and what about scale , 30, 32,34 or even 35

What do ya think??!!

2. I don't think they're worth it..but then again, I've yet to find one that'll cut through well enough..and even sound loud enough to play w\ an acoustic guitar:meh:

I'd guess it depends upon what kind you're looking for...what models you looking for?

3. Earthwood!
    But good luck finding one.
    Forget thin-body basses...what's the use? I'd try to find a large-bodied bass with a round soundhole that will fit one of those feedback-killing soundhole covers. The Guild B-30 is nice.
    KFS

4. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I'd go with the bigger bass, for more volume and projection. The thin ones cannot keep up with an acoustic guitar. The fat ones have a hard time too, so I play with a pick on those rare occasions when I play my acoustic. I have a Takamine, and only got that because it was cheaper than the El Capitan. Voulume wise, no acoustic bass can keep up with a "real" acoustic bass.
    If you need to be amplified, I'd go with an electric. It's just so much easier to deal with in high volume situations. But if the acoustic tone is the only one you desire, then I would play around with some type of EQ to try to eliminate the frequencies that eliminate feedback and move around the stage to find the spot where it won't feedback.

5. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    My experience (Washburn AB-20, Turner Renaissance) is that there is not really any bass that has volume enough to cut it acoustically. It might be OK for practicing, but with any other instruments around you will have to amplify somewhat. So, buy an instrument that primarily sounds good amplified, don't worry too much about the acoustic sound.

6. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Everyone is right, they are not typically that loud as compared to other acoustic instruments. They are very cool for practicing, and will keep up with one acoustic guitar. If you play with more than one instrument you will more than likely have to amplify. Most ABGs come with roundwound strings and sound like a really big acoustic guitar. When you amplify you get to hear lots of finger noise and fret clack (even with the highs rolled off.) Tape Wound strings are an excellent cure for that. I play a Tobias 5 string with an acoustic/bluegrass group. It is a very cool alternative to carrying an upright.

7. yea..fingernoise is a HUGE turn off for me..Stinsok, I never even thought of doing that...hahaha..do you mind putting up sound clips?

8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Tacoma Thunderchief. Nuf' said.

9. HeavyDuty, mind putting up soundclips?

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Get the five string like I did and you will be happy.

If a fiver is your thing of course. ;)

I ve played that in practices and miced performances with 2 steel string acoustics, and Ive played it performance and practices with 1 steel one classical, and a djembe.

Its loud enough.

Peace
    Nick

11. BigTed

BigTed

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    So true. I love mine. It is quiet... as are all ABGs, but I love it plugged in too. If I'm unplugged I'll usually just ask the guitarist to play with his fingers. It's a little pricey, so you'll need to find an awesome wife that can give it to you for your birthday. :bassist:

Who's tried one of the Taylor's with the round sound hole?

12. Yeah i have to say the Tacoma looks good to me.
    Any body like the Washburn ABG ?

13. I've alway liked the Washburn AB30 best. It sounds great acoustically and beats the feedback issue by eliminating the round soundhole when plugged in.

14. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    No way of doing so, sorry... Maybe someone else can oblige?

15. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    i won a carlo robelli acoustic bass a while ago, and i gotta say i really think i stepped in doo-doo. i've played lots of them since that cost hundreds, even as much as a thousand more - and mine is louder acoustically and feels better all around. i'm sure the more expensive ones have much better wood and stuff, but i don't know how high end the electronics go actually. they all pretty much have piezos in them (i could be wrong here).... my carlo robelli has 4 band EQ, sounds great plugged in or not. i must say though that this one particular bass might be a freak. i've never played anything else from carlo robelli that i liked at all - and i'm well aware of their status as a bass manufacturer. i haven't seen or played any of their other acoustics since i won mine.

a couple of weeks ago i scored another acoustic, and i HIGHLY recommend checking them out. it's a fretless blue michael kelly with a vine inlay on the neck. it also is pretty loud acoustically, is stunningly beautiful, unbelieveable fun to play.... i'm in love with it. it's my new baby.

they go for $500, and they auction ones they claim have finish flaws in them on ebay all the time. they can be picked up for around $300. i don't think there's a better acoustic deal out there. the only finish flaw i could find on mine was a pinhole sized drop of extra paint on the underside of the neck. had i not super inspected the bass i'd have never even noticed it.

http://michaelkellyguitars.com/acousticbasses/fireflyfretless4/

all this being said - IMO unless someone plans to do a large amount of live shows and recording with an acoustic (and unless they have money to burn), buying an expensive one of these is tossing money away. i really don't see hundreds of dollars worth of differece in the other basses out there, and i swear for some reason my cheapies always seem to sound better acoustically. i'd suggest playing a LOT of them before deciding.

last note - pignose HOG30 amp makes for a wonderful companion to any acoustic bass. then you can jam on the beach with 5 acoustic guitars if ya want. :bassist: :D

16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ill see if I can manage anything decent with my cheap mic and soundcard.

Peace
    Nick

17. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Tacoma!!!!

yes they are great. I have a fretless one and its quite loud unplugged. Great preamp. If money is problem get a used or the lower line that they make. Olympia it is called. They are just as loud and the wood feels a little different. On the US they use mahogany which can dent quite easily if you aren't careful. I think they use maple or something on the lower line. I tried a lot of ABGs and this is the one for me.

BUT the Takamine $3000 ABG is awesome too. My friend who owns a music store has like 3 tacoma olympia models. All of them fretted and I think he has a US one on order. I put tapewounds on the fretless and its sounds very uprighty, then I tried DR black beauties and it sounds like an electric fretless. They truly are worth every penny and I see them on ebay all the time.

----S

18. The Taylor sounds very even from note to note, is as easy to play as an Ibanez Soundgear, and is so structurally solid that it's little louder than cheapie ABGs despite all its engineering tricks.
    Eh.
    KFS

19. thanks for the link to the thread full of the soundclips.......heh....I've played a few ABG's..and I liked how the Dean sounded as well as a Taylor one I played......but I dunno, I didn't really like the tones coming outta the ones in the sound clips...didn't have much bottom end....I'd prefer a semi-hollow or hollow-body EBG:p