acoustic basses, .......which ones stink?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by groovking, Mar 25, 2002.

1. i been seeing 4 string acoustics, .......galveston, jb player, etc@ 200$, also michael kelley, which looks real appealing at @3-400, fender bg-29,.... any of you guys know which ones suck and which ones dont? any info would be appreciated...........
  2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I can't say I've had a great amount of experience with ABG's, but on the budget you're talking about your best bet might be the Ovation CC074. To be perfectly honest, don't plan on attempting to play without an amp - there's no real "acoustic" projection.

The only "real" acoustic bass guitar I've ever heard project unplugged was the Taylor AB series.
  3. ive got amps all over the house, thats not the problem,.....i wanna play unplugged on the couch at home, maybe out,..mostly for those quick thoughts that come to mind at home,.......with out firing up an amp if i dont want to, ....ive got mostly all tube amps at home, ...seems like alot sometimes to fire up, rather than just pick up an acoustic sometimes. now i usually stick my chin on the upper bout of one of my jazzes to amplify it and im starting to get a stiff neck! not so restricted $ wise as id rather get something nice the first time cause i am a gear junkie and i hate crap, i probably shouldnt have mentioned prices,...its all about the tone with me, if the bass is so so , i wouldnt really like it. if its nice , i get really excited........what else would you folks recommend?
  4. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I've heard Tacoma recommended more than any other make for unplugged volume. I don't personally have any experience with them, however so YMMV.
  5. I have a Washburn AB-35 5 string ABG and I like it alot. The only thing that bothers me is I cannot get intonation right. Maybe that is a problem with all "fixed-bridge-basses". Maybe I will have it made fretless. Other thoughts?
  6. have you all seen the michael kelleys that pop up on ebay all the time,.......they look sweet. i havent heard or played one.i guess ive got to go to gc and try what they have. i remember i bought some cheapie bass on ebay last year, i ended up returning it immediatly,.......the description was way off and it was a piece of junk, i wish i could remember the name.....this is why im a bit leery. far as intonation on a fixed bridge, i havent got a clue? sorry
  7. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Can you tell us more? Would you say it could compete with an acoustic guitar volume-wise, for instance?
  8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Spoken like someone who has never played a Tacoma ThnderChief. :cool:

Find your local Tacoma dealer. I used to think that the very concept of an acoustic bass guitar was flawed, but Tacoma made a believer out of me. :)
  9. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I agree; the Tacoma is significantly louder than the Taylor. (The Taylor can put out enough to play with a single acoustic guitar, but you really have to dig in.)

The disadvantage: they're both huge (maybe a 1/3 bigger than a Jumbo guitar). At that size, an upright doesn't look so bad.
  10. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Some acoustic basses that I thought were pretty good were

Washburn, cant remember the model # though
    The El Capitan is actually a pretty decent one too imo.

A few brands I dont particularly care for are: Rogue, Fender, Applause, Ibanez.

The applause i used to have was sub par, it sounded ok acousticly, but when I ran it thru and amp, it didnt get very loud at all, the etronics in them are very weak/
  11. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    ABG's are really quite simple. Arterial blood gases are an indicater of lung function and a window of renal function (hence the direct relationship of HCO3 and blod pH). The three direct measurements are pH, pCO2 and pO2. Oxygen levels being independant of pH and pCO2. CO2 has an inverse effect on pH, increase CO2, decrease pH....

Oh wait, never mind.

13. Cheapest bang for the buck I have found ( and bought) was by Dean. The performer plus, goes for about 400 or a little less if you shop around some.

Tone wise the Thunderchief is awesome and the old washburns used to be the best thing in town.

Adding Arterial Blood Gasses to an Acoustic Bass Guitar should improve the tone but then you have to manage the humidity more closely.
  14. I've played a lot of ABG's, I went through a lot of them to play for acoustical praise for my church. I ended up settling on the Martin one (which was a tad bit quieter than the Tacoma but had a lot better feel and sound to it).

Not to say anything bad about the Tacoma it is the loudest ABG your going to find. I've played a Hohner, Talkamine, Tacoma, Martin, Fender (The Short Scale One), and the Ephiphone El Capitan.

Unplugged the best was the Tacoma or the Martin, with the Talkamine and Fender coming in for the lower costing. The worst was the El Capitan and the Hohner. Plugged in though I really liked the Tacoma and El Capitan.

The Fender sounded good, but playability was horrible because its shortscale.
  15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Well, he's definitely not curing anyone with his humor. :D :D

In my experience, the Tacoma has definitely had the largest acoustic output, and it has good tone, too. I'm REALLY considering getting one (and have for about the last 8 months...), especially since the local GC is selling one for $400, new. Nice.
  16. heelflip86

May 17, 2001
    2 words, NOT ROUGE!!!!!!!! its pretty, and has nice shiny goldish tuners, but besides that the sound is garbage (in my oppion, stay away, dont venture to the dark side with this one, if you buy it for 200 you will regret it sooooo much, you'll be wanting to take it back sooo fast
  17. JBDammit

Nov 24, 2001
    Athens, Alabama
    I have a takamine acoustic/elec for sale...probably going to look at trading it tomorrow (Wednesday). I just dont play it like I thought I would.
  18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    :eek: What a price!!!! NO BRAINER!!!!!
  19. I bought a JB Player off Ebay. It's nice to just pick up and practice things by myself. You need to plug in to get a good depth behind an acoustic guitar but a practice amp is perfect. The electronics in mine are great. I've never turned it past a quarter of the way up, and the amp was only halfway. Just thought I'd give my input.
  20. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    I bought a Washburn AB34 (4 string) last july and love it. These babies sound great plugged and accoustic. Loads of accoustic voulme, really big bodied. Decent price too.