1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acoustic basses worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ryanRHCP, Jun 18, 2010.

1. ryanRHCP

ryanRHCP

May 26, 2010
    I have been playing bass for about 2 years. I own a Ibanez GSR 200 and a MIA Fender Jazz 62 RI. Next month my band are supporting the lead singer of Aiden on his solo tour and we are doing an acoustic set. Is it worth me splashing some cash on getting an acoustic bass or would it be wiser just to stick with a clean sound? maybe lower the tone? or should i get one of those Boss acoustic pedals? Im sure i seen one when i was buying my ODB-3.

I know people here have played bass for years and years and some of even teachers, so any advice would be much weclome.

Thanks
    Ryan

2. GlennPagano

GlennPagano

Jul 20, 2009
    Glen Mills
    I have been playing for about one year. I recently bought an acoustic bass and I love it. It is extremely easy to pick up and play anywhere, no amp required. You will not regret it.

3. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    I like Washburn acoustic guitars ( I have one) . I just looked at their acoustic basses and found this link, worth looking at , good luck .......:cool:

4. The BOSS AC-3 is a sortta letdown to me. It made 'the sound' OK, but it had a plastic-y effect too.

It just feels processed and that's all I can say.

I got an AEB when I saw the Clapton Concert with Nathan East on a big 5-er acoustic and ran right out and got one - although a 4-stringer.

It has it's place and frankly it can be used as a regular bass unless you slap and need that extra percussion.

The have so much resonance and sustain that I had to get a sound hole plug so I could control the feedback.

Yeah - they add a lot to your music and they fit in places where you don't think they can.

Personally I like the round-wound bronzes as they add a lot to the string noise that is a signature for a stand-up bass. If you want to tone that down, then use the Presence control if you get an AEB that has one. The Ibanez AEB10 does that and I can keep the zing and fret noise to a minimum.

It WILL force you to improve your skills too.

But - yeah, they are really useful. Just don't think you can rock out without an amp though! They don't project very well unless it's in your room at night or maybe with just another acoustic guitar. .

5. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    I'm pro ABG, so yes.
    Not sure what you mean by "clean sound".
    Get out and play as many as you can, and have a sales person play it while you listen from a distance. High action and aggressive pizz is where it's at for max acoustic volume.
    Doing an "acoustic" set with a band, you'll still need support, be it amp, mic, DI or a mix. In this situation, you can get away with lower action.

6. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    I remember the " MTV un-plugged" days of the '90's when these things reared their ugly heads. I even played a few. Horrible creatures.

Kind of like Hedwig, in the Angry Inch, they were neither here nor there, but an unfortunate experiment that didn't work out. (Great movie, if you have an open mind).

Bulky, not very comfortable to hold, not very good sounding either alone or amped, and they usually didn't play very well.

Go try a few, by all means, but think of all the other cool stuff you could buy. Stuff you would use all the time.

My 2 cents, spend $50 on some TI Jazz flats to put on for the "acoustic" sets. (Caution: you might end up a flats convert!) Keep them and your regular strings in the case. A string change with already fitted strings only takes about five minutes.

Or go whole hawg and get an upright.

You don't want to end up stuck somewhere in the early '90's.

7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

If you get the right one, yes.
    I've played the old "Earthwood Bass" and Taylor's AB2.
    Other than these production models, all other were inferior.
    I've been gassing for an all acoustic ABG. (No pickup)
    Something like the old "Earthwood" ABG. (discontinued)
    After looking for a builder, to make one.
    I found Marco Cortes, of Marco Bass.
    He is building me a custom proto-type model.
    We are hoping is will hold it own, with an acoustic piano, guitar, fiddle.
    banjo.
    Without the aid of a pickup.
    It will be big.
    9" to 6" in deep, 18.5" to 19" wide?
    36" scale.
    Fretless 4-string.
    Bass should be completed by fall ?

8. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    So that would be a no?

9. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Pretty much.

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    They have a great tone. They pretty much all need to be plugged in, but for an "acoustic set" with a band the guitars will plug in, too. There are some very nice acoustic-style basses that only work plugged in, the Rob Allen Mouse and Godin A4/A5 come to mind. I personally love my Tacoma Thunderchief. It sits with an acoustic guitar very nicely and has the percussive "plunky" fast decay sound that you just won't get with a solid body electric no matter what strings you try.

Acoustic bass guitars are a hoot to own and play.