Acoustic Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gabu, Jan 30, 2001.

1. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I have played a couple of these. One I own, it is a Rogue 305 (5 string acoustic). I have played a few others at guitar center, which is right down the street.

Are all acoustic basses this punchy?

2. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    hehe .... common, someone must have a thought on this. Acoustics... all punchy? are some more dynamic?
  3. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago

Most ABGs I've played just sound like big g****rs. EXCEPT there was this Larrivee at GC... HOO boy. Big DEEP sound, unlike any other I'd heard. Mind you, I've never plugged a single one in, I jst like to hear if they have it acoustically. This Larrivee was the ONLY one I've ever heard that actually sounds like a BASS. 'Course, one would expect SOME tone for $2200...

4. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    i dont think they are...most ive played are warm, and mellow, not punchy at the washburn and ovation, cant remember the models, and the epiphone also was low and mellow sounding too..not really punchy
  5. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    The Larrivee is awsome. They make a stripped down model for about a grand too that is great. Another abg that sounds like a real bass is the Azola Deco (my choice).
    Most abg's come with bronze roundwounds which really adds to the guitar-like effect. Changing to flatwounds or nickel rounds will change the sound a lot.
  6. I have a couple of the small Guilds, which are quite portable and easy to play, short scale (30"), but they need amplification when playing in an ensemble.

I also have a Tacoma Thunderchief, which is considerably bigger, is of normal scale (34"), has a much bigger sound, but still needs amplification when playing in an ensemble.

I have a double-bass which is my favourite, is rather large to carry around, has a great sound, but still needs amplification when playing in an ensemble.

(er, um - what was the question again?)

- Wil