Acoustic Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sherman, Mar 6, 2001.

1. Sherman

Nov 24, 2000
    I'm interested in buying an acoustic bass. I've so far been offered a Cort a Warwick. Which one of these would be the better bet or are there better acoustic basses in the $400 - $500 price range?
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Between a Cort and a Warwick? The Cort, of course!

Anyway, if your budget is $400 or so, you might have to go with the Cort by default. I think Ovation makes a model in that range too, as well as Hohner and Ibanez.

Will C.:cool:
  3. i am in the market for an acoustic as well, and in that price range too. Im looking at either a Dean or a Takamine, and leaning more towards the Takamine. if anyone has any info on either of these, let me know. I also understand that Guild makes a good acoustic bass, but for a bit more money.
  4. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Buy in the low end is pretty hit and miss. I've played some good Ibanez and Deans but I've also played some of the same models that weren't so good. The only ones that seem consistently crappy are the Applause. If you spend a few more bucks the Epiphone El Capitans seem consistently good for the money and are pretty loud acoustically. A lot depends on whether you wanna amplify it. I haven't played a $500 bass that sounded good acoustically when ya really played it hard. A used Takamime or Epiphone are what I'd look for 0.5K.
  5. Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I tried a tacoma a few weeks ago very nice !
  6. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Oh yeah! I wuz rackin' my brain for the other reasonably priced ABG I liked. Tacomas are good.
  7. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I have a Jasmine (Takamine) that I picked up used a little while ago. It's pretty nice and I was able to get it for $240. My research (paper research - I only was able to find and play a couple) seemed to indicate that a lot of the instruments were made in the same place. My criteria were: 34" scale, built-in piezo, largest body (full acoustic body, not thinline) and relatively cheap. For new I would have probably gone with the Takamine EG-512C (the model that has apparently replaced the Jasmine ES100C I have). Go to the TBL website and search for appropriate terms (like "ABG") to see a lot of good information ("Dragon" has a lot of experience with a lot of different models and has posted a bunch with good info).

That said, make sure you really want one. I'm thinking about selling/trading mine. I got it for easy practice at home and it does that pretty well - I just pick it up and am ready to play (no wires, amps, etc.). However I'm finding it somewhat uncomfortable to play for any length of time. Sitting the wide body hitches my right arm up higher to get over it which tires out my shoulder after a while. Also the edge of the body cuts into my right forearm. Standing up and using a strap alleviates some of this (and I prefer playing standing up anyway). Also even though the Jasmine/Takamine is supposed to be one of the "louder" ABGs I don't think it would compete very well with acoustic ouitars (I haven't had it to practice yet as I don't have a case or bag for it).

So as a dedicated practice tool it's working fine except that it is less comfortable to play than an electric. I occasionally get flare-ups of tendonitis/CTS/whatever from too much computer work and not being careful on bass can aggravate it so I may sell/trade the acoustic and get a rechargeable Pignose amp. That way I'm practicing on my main axe, also. I had it listed in the forsale section (the buyer on my SB-1 finally came through so I'm set on the things I had already bought) and left it because I'm currently ambivalent about keeping it.
  8. A used Washburn AB20 or Epiphone El Capitan should be in this price range as well, maybe even a 5 string.
  9. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    If i had to choose between the Cort or Warwickn Id choose the Warwick. Ive never played either of them, but my reason being is that Warwick has a better name (reputation) than Cort does, and a higher resale value. I also think Warwick electric's have a much better tone than Corts. This is helping me think that there acoustics would sound better as well.

I have however played a washburn, and the el capitan's. Those are both good sounding acoustics. Both have great action, and great tone.

If you want to save up a bit more money, Ovation and or Takemine are the way to go though. Just my opinion.
  10. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    save some money, buy a Taylor AB 1 or AB 2, you can't go wrong.
  11. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Hehe I got my acoustic bass from musicians friend. It's a Rogue 5 stringer. It's actually pretty cool for a $200 bass!

If I had a bigger budget, I probably would have picked up the Epiphone. But I am happy with mine... I get plenty of punch, boom when i want it and it's a beautiful bass.

I am playing it in my picture on my webpage.
  12. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Boy, I know how to kill a thread.
  13. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I've tried several ~$500 acoustic bass guitars, including Fender, Washburn, Ovation, Applause, and Takamine but the best of them was actually a Hohner. The ABG's that I've played that have impressed me the most were Martin (natch!), Guild, and the Tacoma Thunderchief, which kicks serious ass but costs about $950.
  14. I like the Fender, even though it's a 32" scale, it has a very good sound and playability.
  15. Bassr64

Feb 9, 2001
    I have an Epiphone El Capitan that has been a really good acoustic bass. It projects well and sounds nice and warm. Also, I've used it live with great results.
  16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I concur with Craigb. An ABG seemed like a good idea on paper but when I tried to put it to practical use it came up short. I bought an El Capitan fretless 5 and it turned out to be a painfiul experience due to the wide body. Sounded fine but because of the akward playing position and the fact that it was a distant second to my other fretless in sound and versatility, it's use dwindled.

I tried everything on the market and while I was impressed with one Taylor, a $3k Takamine large body, a couple of Ovations and the Tacomas, they just weren't worth it to me, even from a novelty point of view.
  17. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    For me its the coolest thing to run around the house with my bass jamming away not having to be connected to my amp. Do you know how many blissful hours I have spent terrorizing my cat, chasing him around burning up my fretboard? I love playing bass acousticly! :)
  18. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Hey...a few years ago I bought my first ABG just to have something to play around with "sans-amp". Somewhere along the line I fell in love with the resonance of the acoustic body. Now I play acoustic almost exclusively. I perform as a solo bassist (yes, really) and make a living doing it. I am recording my first solo acoustic CD now. I am, right now, playing a Washburn AB32, that I received as part of an endorsement deal. These are really great acoustics with a full deep body, cuataway, choice woods (mine is spruce top with rosewood back and sides), 24 fret necks, cool looking oval soundhole, and (on mine anyway) a Fishman Acoustic Matrix system. I have played the Tacoma, Takemine, Ovation (their $2000 model is great), Rogue and El Capitan...and the AB32 really outshines them all. There is a track on the new Stu Hamm CD, "Outbound" where he plays the melody on an AB32. They are priced reasonably also.
    And, by the way, mine is for sale......check it out under basses for sale.
    Max Valentino
  19. mayfairmistress0

Oct 26, 2000
    mmmmmmm acustic bassssssss *drools*

hey, my budget is... 0, is anybody willing to give me one?

20. mayfairmistress0

Oct 26, 2000
    hey gbrooks... how do you put your little picture thingy below your name?