Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassjared, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Hey guys,

First off, I apologize if this subject has been beat to death before. Even after searching, I couldn't find most of the information I was looking for. After playing around with my electric bass, an Ibanez EDC 700(i know i know, you can flame it in another thread :D), I started thinking about an acoustic bass....are they worth it? Anybody have ANY suggestions for what to look for in a good, quality acoustic bass? Does tone differ? Besides the obvious reason of not having an amp connected to it is there any other major pro's/con's? Finally, does anybody have a good acoustic that they'd recommend for somebody, like me, to buy? Or is custom maybe the way to go.....anyone know a good, custom luthier?

Sorry for all the n00b questions :confused: ,

An early thanks to your guys' replies,

Jared

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Jared, most people will say they look for volume; I look for tone.

I suggest you check out a Tacoma Thunderchief. I really like mine - it sounds great with Labella black nylon tapes.

Try to play as many different brands and models as you can before you buy!

Also, did you try searching for "ABG"?

3. Thanks for the quick reply Ken. Interesting, the thunderchief was quite high on my list of possibilities....what's the price range for those (roughly)

Unfortunately, living in the middle of nowhere (read: Northren British Columbia:help:) the only way I can get the guitar store here to order is if I buy it:rollno:
    Thanks for the search term. It gave me quite a few more results.

Anyone else wanna comment?:meh:

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Warwick Alien Acoustic. Yes.

5. Looks beautiful, but I'm guessing pretty expensive for a highschool kid:D

6. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    You can get one for around 1100$ at BassCentral.

I'm in highschool.. I payed for my Ric, my Rig, and my wicky :p.. shush.

7. Lucky you, I still have to deal with the whole Canadian/American dollar difference though:bawl:

8. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    We have to deal with Bush. Enough said :p.

9. Chapbass

Chapbass

Dec 11, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    2nd the Thunderchief. I <3 mine. Definitely loud enough to play acoustically with quite a few acoustic guitars (i play with 2-3 at a time and can be heard fine), and I love the tone of it.

Hard to go wrong. I know theres two kinds of preamp/pickup configurations in the tacomas, the fishman (i believe) and the LR baggs. I know some people have reported that theres some feedback problems in the baggs, but i dont think its too bad. Mine has a baggs in it, and while i cant totally crank it, I think for every purpose of an acoustic bass its just fine. I use it with my 2x10/1x15 3/4 stack and i can be heard right along with an acoustic/electric, an electric, and a pretty loud drummer. Running it through a larger PA might be an issue, but in my opinion most of those times youd be playing electric at that size of venues anyway.

: \

Sorry i got off on a tangent, just trying to offer my opinion on what I think is the best sounding ABG ive played.

: )

10. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Going by the price:goodness ratio, I've found the Epiphone El Capitan to by by far the best ABG I've ever played or heard. It can be had brand new for around $500 US too.

From what I've heard, a Thunderchief will blow the Epi out of the water, both volume and tone-wise, but I've never played one myself, and I wasn't willing to spend two grand on an ABG.

11. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Funny, I always assumed teenage boys like bush.

Wait...what?

12. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I have a Fender BG29. It isn't the loudest thing in the world but it has great tone. It also plays very nice. Great action. I think it might be a short scale. I can't remember what else was hanging on the wall at the store where I bought it but I played everything they had and this one blew the others away. It was around $500 american.

13. That's the only one they have up in our guitar store up here. I must say it was pretty good, just from what I had 'envisioned' on what a AGB should sound/play like. It was only $449 Canadian though.

14. bargainhunter

bargainhunter

Jul 28, 2004
    Victoria
    While not a PURE 'acoustic bass guitar' - Godin makes a thin hollowbody that is VERY loud acoustically. The new bassist in my band (i was demoted to rythmn guitar) has a fretless one, and it sounds GREAT on our recordings. He bought it especially to play at home without an amp!

15. Dublin-Bass

Dublin-Bass Guest

Sep 24, 2003
    Dublin, Ireland
    I think it might be a medium (32) Scale as to the best of my
    knowledge pretty much all of Fenders AGB's are.

Personally I love AGBs. I got one back in 2001, a Tanglewood
    which one of my local stores in Dublin had to order from
    Korea as they didn't have any lefties in stock. One store
    actually refused to order one as they claimed it might never
    arrive, but I just think they were being lazy.
    The one I got cost about 500 Euros ( or about 421 Irish
    Pounds as it was at the time).
    It arrived pretty quickly. I've used it for a few gigs but essentially
    I prefer to use it only for practising at home as I always hated hooking
    up the amp and plugging everything in just to practise with.
    I'm also a bit protective of it as leftie AGBs are more than
    a little rare. They are around though nd I'd love to get
    another one for doing acoustic gigs with.

16. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    $2000?!?!? They litter the ground at $600 - $800 brand new, if you want a pure acoustic!

17. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Most budget ABGs are pretty similar in terms of tone and volume (and are probably made in the same Samick or Cort factory). Only a few set themselves apart from the pack. If you want something that's acoustically loud, you should look for something with a solid top and lots of surface area, like the Tacoma Thunderchief, which streets around USD 700 for the bare-bones model.

As far as cheapies go, the Ibanez and Michael Kelly ABGs aren't bad. They sound pretty good unplugged (albeit not particularly loud), and they're decently made.

18. rsgars

rsgars

Aug 6, 2003
    NY State
    It was strictly the budget choice. If money was no object I would have gone with the Thunderchief, second choice would have been the El Capitan, but I was on a very tight budget and picked up the Ibanez for a little over $300 American.

Acoustically the sound is okay, but I've never played it up against guitar or drums. It's a little bright for my taste and one day I will put flatwounds on it. Plugged in I actually love it! So, if you're on a really tight budget it might be a good starter for you.

19. JohnBarr

JohnBarr

Mar 19, 2004
    Central NY
    Better check out the Godin A4
    Great guitar and made in Canada.

John

20. Sorry another n00b question, how much do Godin's run for? :confused: