Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic Basses!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MascisMan, Apr 26, 2005.

1. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I am looking for a semi-cheap acoustic bass to purchase.

Max dollar limit is $500 however would prefer to stay around the $400 range..

Any recommendations?

2. milos.otic

milos.otic

Mar 14, 2005
    I recently purchased a EG512CGAMQ Orange Quilted Maple w/ Abaloni inlays and accents and I love it. It has a built in preamp and tuner with 3 band equilizer and bass boost when using an amp. The body is monstrous which creates a super deep low end accoustic tone I haven't heard on any other accoustic bass. I talked guitar center down to $420 (case/strap/cable included). E-mail me if you'd like pics or sound samples.

Cheers,

Milos

MilosOtic@hotmail.com

3. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I'd look at the Olympia bass on the Elderly website. It's the Korean version of the venerable Tacoma Thunderchief. I played one last weekend, and would have bought it, but I stupidly had a fight with my wife, and I'm already in the doghouse. :rolleyes:

It sells for around $360 with a laminated spruce top and Fishman preamp/pickup ($475 w/ solid spruce top and Baggs preamp/pickup). It's not quite as nice as the Tacoma, and it doesn't project quite as well, but it's a darn good deal, since Tacomas go for more than twice as much.

Worth looking into, anyway. :)

http://www.elderly.com/search/elderly?terms=olympia+bass&x=0&y=0

4. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    Try Dean

5. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    i have an ibanez aeb10. it's pretty good. and i only got it for $272. im sure they have others better than mine but this is pretty good enough. oh and it's the only acoustic bass available over here in my side of south east asia. lol

6. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

7. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    Don't buy an Ovation. Their transducer is basically a strip of metal with the bridge on top. If you try lowering the action (which you can only do by filing down the top of the saddle), you end up with some strings louder than the others. I've been having fits with my CC074. I'm taking it to a tech this weekend to see if he can un#$ck it.

I have a Godin A4, and it's pretty nice. Good electronics, and no messy bridge issues to deal with. It's not as bright as the ovation, nor is it as loud unplugged, but it plays and sounds great plugged in. Nice neck too.

:bassist: