Acoustic basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by swood127, Dec 24, 2005.

1. swood127

Oct 26, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    anybody know of some decent sounding acoustic basses. I have played some martins, taylors and breedloves. I want something that sounds very good and can still be heard. The ones that I have played have been alright. The Martin BC-15E was fairly nice, the Breedlove fretless wasn't bad either. I guess I am really looking for suggestions of what to I should look at before I buy. Ultimately it will come down to my choice, but I would like more to choose from.
  2. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    There have been a few (probably 4-6) threads about acoustic basses. Its not a very large field, so you should find most of the important information youre looking for in these threads. Try the search function.
  3. Bassroy

Jan 2, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    I got to play a Fender Vic Bailey acoustic two days ago. I spent about thirty minutes with it and compared it to other Fenders, a Takamine and a Breedlove. The Bailey was the best of those I tried. The Breedlove was a close second (but lower price).
  4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Apart from his Custom Warwick, does anyone know what type of acoustic basses Jonas Hellborg uses?
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Don't look at the headstock and just sit down and play everything you can. My #1 choice is the Tacoma Thunderchief at a little over a grand. I picked up a Brownsville ABG that sounds just fine, almost as good as the Godly Thunderchief for $100.
  6. Earthwood, but good luck finding one.
    The Tacoma bass is the best-sounding commercially-available bass, and the Guild B-30 and B-50 are awesome too. The Taylor plays great but sounds mousy, and the Martin is more comfortable to play but also sounds shy. Nothing else I've tried impressed me, and I spent 10 years looking for the right ABG.

Hellborg first played a $3000 custom Wechter, and now likes a $200 Crafter bass. Go figure.
  7. play.
    don't buy on line.
    tacoma excellent quality but inconsistant.
    breedlove, big neck like p bass plays sweet.
    I have a Tacoma thundercheif and I am about
    60% satisfied.
  8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The only acoustic Bass I've ever experienced that produces usable volume unplugged is the Tacoma Thunderchief. And even with the Tacoma, don't expect to keep up with heavy acoustic guitar players. It also sounds wonderful through the pickup when plugged in.
  9. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    I don't remember the model number.. but I played a Fender acoustic at GC about 4 months ago and it was nice!!! it was in the $300-400 pricerange.
  10. My first bass (and I still play it) is the Fender GB-41 SCE acoustic/electric. Acoustic basses are nice without an amp for practicing by yourself. But they get drowned out rather easily by other musicians, even those playing acoustic guitars. Any loud, bright acoustic guitar directly facing you is even going to make it a bit difficult to hear yourself. Ahh, but plug an acoustic bass into an amp and you get that nice, warm sound rich in harmonics.

Paul Mac