Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic Basses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gwx014, Dec 28, 2005.

1. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    So, I've kinda been wanting an acoustic bass. Do you guys have any opinions of some good ones. I've seen a Warwick one but I think it's discontiued.
    Thanks.

2. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Connecticut
    Tacoma makes the best ABG, they're expensive. Tacoma Thunderchief's.

In all the reviews I read, I read that they could be heard over one guitar but not too.

From experience in owning one, I disagree. It can be heard over two if you pluck hard, and over one if you pluck easily. When I say pluck, I'm referring to fingerstyle; I'm sure it's even louder if you pick.

I have a vid in a weird format (.3gpp) from my cell phone of me and my guitarist playing if you want to see how loud it can get.

There's another brand that makes a decent one, Takamine. Other than that, I don't condone... any ABGs. lol

3. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    Don't get an acoustic bass expecting that you can be heard over a couple of acoustic guitars. They simply won't project that well.

They are great to simply pick up and sit on the couch and practice with, but they are not great to invite a couple of friends over if they have acoustic guitars. You will need an amp. I would seriously suggest getting a cheap acoustic/electric and you can plug in to be heard.

4. Not necessarily.
    Guild B-30s and B-50s have a pretty loud acoustic sound considering the short scale, and they've been popping up like crazy this season. Failing that the Tacoma wails, but the mahogany ones are kind of delicate.
    I get the bassiest tone plucking with my thumb, but if you want to be heard clearly, a heavy Fender pick works.

5. And KUNGfuSHERIFF, if you can coax decent acoustic volume from an ABG, you better not even plug it in. It will howl like the wolfman if you bring into the same room w/an amp(IMO/IME). :)

6. Collin.A

Collin.A

Jun 22, 2005
    I think acoustic basses are great, but the problem is they lack versatility. Basically, in order to get one you'll be happy with in the long run you have to go Tacoma, and that’s a fairly expensive way to go (especially if you are only experimenting with acoustic sound). If your looking for a bass that is convenient to just sit down and practice with, I would say go acoustic/electric or maybe even hollow body. ;)

-CWA

7. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Do a search for ABG. You'll find lots of threads on the subject.

I bought a Takamine EG512 a couple years ago. It has plenty volume for just playing unpluged, and it has worked well playing gigs with trios to quintets (through a Polytone amp). Even outdoor gigs through two Polytones. It could probably keep up unlpuged with an acoustic guitar with the stock bronze strings.

I now have a Takamine B-10. The thick, curved, ebony fingerboard and raised bridge put this bass into a league of its own. It's not as loud as the 512 unpluged, but when amped, there is NO comparison.

Do some reading. Play some basses. I bought the 512 off ebay for like $350.00 after reading reviews, then set it up and swapped strings. A lot of people on the board like there Michael Kelly's and are happy with them. No need to feel like you have to spend a lot for a Tacoma to start playing an ABG. You can always upgrade later.

M.

8. They aren't worth buying IMO, they are very expensive, most are laminates, most aren't loud enough, the ones that are sound horrible plugged in, just stick with electric and a combo amp if you have anywhere to plug in, it's worth it.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    rob allen :)

10. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

+1 Rob Allen! You beat me to it, an amazing Bass!

George

11. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Please don't take this as an attack against anyone that owns or likes ABG's, but you'd be better off getting a DB if you're after the accoustic sound. most of the ABG's i have played (and that includes some martin & co's) sound too much like guitars and don't have a lot of bottom end for my liking.

You may even want to consider an EUB (Electric upright) like a Ned steinberger EUB. They aren't cheap, but you will have a top of the range upright and they sound awesome (my teacher has one).

EDIT: sorry, i wasn't sure WHY you wanted an accoustic. what is the reason?