1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Acoustic basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by matt"bass", Apr 9, 2006.

1. matt"bass"

matt"bass"

Oct 20, 2005
    Hull
    i've not seen many if any relevant threads advsing on acoutsic basses, but i have enough spare cash to do something with so i thort id look in to expanding myself as a bass player, and musician.
    i have been playing bass for a good solid, commited and incredibly enjoyable 3yrs now, and my first and only bass has been a trusty companion so much so i am reluctant to get a new one, im thinkin new pups and a new preamp, that should do the trick along with a proper set up.
    more to the point, myself and a guitarist friend are looking into teaming up to do a little duo acoustic project over the summer, and i feel an acoustic bass would fit best. which is where i plan to spend the money, also i have wanted an acoustin for a while simply to broaden my horizons and keep me interested and more versatile. plus id say my playing style would suit an acoustic quite nicely.

so basically, which brands should i look at?
    wanting a rich, deep, warm and full tone?
    and have around £300 to spend. and also a 5th string would be VERY nice to have.
    i've seen this? need to find one to play though.
    http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=10397

Thanks for any help, matt

2. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    That's a tough one. Hmmmm......... Try a Breedlove. They run about $799 US. Very nice acoustic tone and they even come with a nice hardshell case.

3. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    There have been a lot of threads devoted to ABGs. Do a search and you'll find a consensus, I think.

4. Try a Michael Kelly, I have one, and love it. About $500.

5. MiniMic

MiniMic

Sep 29, 2001
    Syracuse NY
    First, be patient,save up some more pennies and look into buying a Tacoma Thunderchief (list price is about $1100.00)
    for the entry level model, no real fancy woods or finishes.
    If you are patient you usually can find one (USED)for about $750-800 . You can not buy a better ABG !!!!