Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Aug 12, 2001.

1. I was wondering what acoustic basses you guys recommend. Both in 4 and 5 string models. Thanks.

2. gumby7

gumby7

Feb 15, 2000
    hey if you want an acoustic bass i'll sell you mine, its got a knick on teh outside of the sound hole cuase a classical fell on it, and some scratchs but it still plays nice and its really nice looking

3. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    try takamines, ovations, and martins. ive played several and liked all of them. i played an epiphone and that wasnt too bad either. good luck

4. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I didn't plug it in so I don't know about the amplified sound, but I was pleasantly surprised by the acoustic sound of the Carlo Robelli ABG at sCam cAsh. It was louder and bassier than ANYTHING ELSE in the store at the time, and the cheapest of the lot, too!

:confused: but :cool:

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Tacoma Thunderchief for the 4. Haven't come across a good 5 yet.

6. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    You need to think about how you plan to use it. None of them, regardless of price or brand, are really loud enough to use unplugged if you'll be playing with even one loud acoustic guitarist. If you plan to use it amplified, and are choosing the one that sounds best (the least like an electric bass...otherwise, what's the point?), you should look to one of the better ones like Martin, Tacoma, Taylor, etc. I just got a Taylor AB-2, which retains much of the acoustic tone when amplified, and I'm pretty happy so far. If you only plan to mess around with it at home, playing quietly, practicing, etc., I'd look for a lower priced one.

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I bought a Takamine 512. It was nice. It was as loud as any other I have played. I found that I NEVER played it. I sold it when it still smelled new.

8. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    I had an Ovation 5 string that sounded beautiful. I dropped it and broke it!!! Aaaarrrrgggghhh!

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'd definitely consider the sound you're after. If you like a more aggressive sound, Ovation basses have an almost electric sound to 'em. They're largely made out of plastic so they tend to have a very strong attack with a lot of harmonic overtones to them.

On the other side of the spectrum is the Rob Allen (which I absolutely LOVE) and the Rick Turner (which I've never tried). The Rob Allen sounds extremely close to an upright;) It's really a light, fun to play, great sounding instrument that's perfect for certain types of sounds.

Somewhere in the middle lies basses such as the Klein and Taylor acoustic basses on the expensive end, Warwick in the middle, and Washburn or Takamine on the inexpensive end.

You really need to consider what sound you're after and try out a bunch in order to decide. It's a lot of the same process as buying an electric, so just as much thought and effort should be put into the buying process;)

Good luck!:D

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    For a great four string, you could try to find an old Kramer Ferrington. I got a fretless and it sounds just like an upright.

11. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    I played a fretless Tacoma 5 yesterday, and it was pretty sweet... I have always loved those tacoma fretlesses... I suggest you check out the Tacomas if you want a five string. The B was decent, actually. I wish I had the money, because I would have bought it.

12. Kevinlane

Kevinlane Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Missouri, near Branson
    I have a fretless Turner Reneseance RB-5L. I love it!!!!!
    A GREAT B string
    The piezo system is a bit microphonic, but sounds excellent. I have had nothing but Raves from the techs at the theater I work at(live videos recorded every show) and on the recordings I've used it on.
    I've even gotten gigs just because I had one to use.
    Very upright sounding for a guitar. Begs to be played slowly. A MWAH monster. Not a fretless for the Claypool hard fretless sound. Much more acoustic( that's what I need a fretless for)
    I've never tried the Rob Allen's but I get a feeling they are similar to the Turners.
    Last year the Turner did get the Golden Axe award that Harmony Central gives out.
    Not cheap, $2200 list but I felt it's worth the money for a quality insrtument.

I've tried a Taylor fretted four, and it was good, but you know how much harder it is to geta good, competent B string.

I've not tried a fretted one, but I have tried a fretted and a fretless in other models(Fender Ovation) and the fretless seemed the way to go if you want an "acoustic bass"

Try one.

13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I played a lot of them in stores and had written the whole ABG concept off as flawed when I got my hands on a Tacoma Thunderchief. It simply outclasses everything I've ever had my hands on, including Martin Taylor, and others. I want a fretless 5 version.

Before you buy an ABG do yourself a favor and try a Tacoma. It is in a class by itself IMO.