Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassMisfit, Jan 2, 2002.

1. BassMisfit

BassMisfit

Dec 31, 2000
    Irwin, PA
    Hello, I am interested in getting an acoustic/electric bass and I was wondering what you feel is the best I could get for around $400? I was looking for something with a big sound, high quality construction , and comfortable to play. I was leaning towards a Dean Performer if anyone had expirences with them, but I don't think any local stores carry them(and I don't feel like dealing with MF). Any responses will be greatly appreaciated.

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I played acoustic basses for almost a year looking for something that that was reasonably loud unplugged and had a nice sound. The ONLY bass that I felt got close was a Tacoma Thunderchief and that bass is well above what you wish to spend. I ended up settling for a Takamine ($525 w/ HSC) and sold it after only six weeks because it was all but useless.

I have come to believe the very idea of an acoustic bass guitar is flawed.

But since you asked, the Takamine did sound pretty good plugged in and was easy to play. I also thought is was pretty well put together ans certainly nice to look at.

Chas

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Hee hee but you did admit that the Tacoma came closest. Personally I think the Tacoma thundercheif not only comes close but delivers on the promise of a usable ABG. My brother borrowed mine for a recording project and miced the thing (with an AKG 414) for recording and it sounds fantastic. I used to think it was a flawed concept myself until I played the Tacoma. I bought it as soon as I played it.

Anyway, back to the original question.... The Dean ABGs are very nice basses for the money. They are almost completely useless as an acoustic instrument (but can be used for quiet solo practice this way). They sound nice plugged in. Check them out!

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I fear you might be right but I hope you're wrong.;) I've long wanted a real acoustic bass guitar, but nothing I've seen in the stores has really worked for me, not even the Tacoma, which with the Taylor seems like the best of the bunch to me.

I'm considering taking a flyer on the Shuker acoustic bass, which I mentioned in another thread in "Basses," but it is (1) an unknown quantity, (2) over $2000, and (3) far from here (UK).

5. For $400 the only semi descent unplugged sound your gonna get is gonna be the Fender Shortscale one they have. The El Capitan is good plugged in, but unplugged it has no sound whatsoever. Its more of a Semi-Hollowbody sound than an acoustic sound.

6. Today I purchased this natural Washburn AB35 5 string acoustic bass and I am really happy with it. It's not quite in the $400 zone but it might be second hand. This bass plays great and it sounds very nice too. The B string is pretty tight. Unplugged it has reasonable volume (not enough of course), plugged in you can dial in a lot of different sounds. It seems like Washburn does not have a very good reputation but this bass is really worth the money. Maybe you should try one out. It is also available in a 4 string version (AB25 or so)Good luck.

http://www.washburn.com/products/bass/ab35.shtm

7. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I 'm like you dude
    I'm looking for a cheap acoustic but I don't know a lot about acoustic...

Anyone is able to speak about the Fender BG29 or very cheaper the squier SB-31 ?

Txs you

8. BassMisfit

BassMisfit

Dec 31, 2000
    Irwin, PA
    Well, te good new is I finally found an acoustic in my price range. A 5 string Ovation Celebrity that was marked down to $399 +tax and I got it for $382 even. I really liked it and was very happy with my purchuse until I got home and realised there is two hairline cracks on the neck. Both on opposite sides and comming from the nut. One of the cracks is barely noticable but the other is about 1 1/2 long. I'm amazed I didn't notice this before I purchused it. What do you guys think I should do? I cannot return it for a similar because there were no more basses in my price range. Will the cracks continue to get larger, and will the warranty replace the neck free of charge? Would Guitar Center repair or replace the neck, or can you even repair a cracked neck. It doesn't seem to affect anything other then the cosmetics and was wondering what your opinion is, thanks.

9. If the cracks aren't too deep (maybe only in the finish?) and you like the sound of the bass, then you might want to keep it. I think that most of the string tension in the neck is held by the truss rod, so small cracks probably won't affect the structural integrity of the neck too much. I hope I'm right though!

10. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    My Guild is nice, but the Taylor ROCKS!:D

11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Not sure if I just stepped in doo doo or if they're all like this, but I won a Carlo Robelli (I'd have never considered buyin one) a couple of years ago, and the bass is unbelievable. It has great action, perfect intonation, and I swear it's louder than any other acoustic I've ever played. I always acoustic basses were a waste, and probably never would have bought one, but this thing really sounds good unplugged. Had I bought it, the price tag was $150 for the floor model. They were ordinarily going for a little over $200 I believe. I highly recommend dropping into a Sam Ash and checking one out before blowing a lot of uneccessary dough. Good luck.

12. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    I've got the Taylor/Klein ABG with all Imbuia wood. It's one of the most beatifully artistic instruments I've seen/owned. I totally dig it. It's made more as an ABG to be amplified, not really as a stand-alone bass. Soooooooo, if you going for something that you can play out on the street corner acoustically go for something else. Plus, playing a $2000 ABG doesn't sound too safe to me!
    :eek:

13. "Today I purchased this natural Washburn AB35 5 string acoustic bass and I am really happy with it. It's not quite in the $400 zone but it might be second hand. This bass plays great and it sounds very nice too. The B string is pretty tight. Unplugged it has reasonable volume (not enough of course), plugged in you can dial in a lot of different sounds. It seems like Washburn does not have a very good reputation but this bass is really worth the money. Maybe you should try one out. It is also available in a 4 string version (AB25 or so)Good luck."

I have the 4 tring version. its the AB-34 not the 25 that is a different model al together. I bought it for around 400 used and it is incredible. Better then any acoustic i have played. It has plenty of volume for playing with 2 guitarists (* of course i play fairly heavy) Has a beautiful sound plugged in or unplugged and it is one of the few that i have played that didnt have a twangy sound to it. I highy recomend this bass to anyone who wants an acoustic.

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've looked...

and looked....

and loooked.

The Tacomas are nice, the Taylors are nice and expensive, I ended up buying an El Capitan fretless 5, which was better than anything else I played below a Taylor and waaaay below the big Takamine.

All I can say is... good luck. Mine turned out to be pretty useless for me. The unplugged volume was no miracle and I needed to plug in for it to be of any value. Of course if I had to plug it in, why not play one of my other basses? That's what I did. I sold the El Cap. In your price range, good luck.

15. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    And when you plug them in... they feedback like crazy. Here's a pic of my AB20. I've never seen another one with this finish.

[​IMG]

16. Pea-NUT

Pea-NUT

Jul 1, 2001
    Jerseyville, IL
    I have a Dean Acoustic. Its nice, nothing special. Ive been trying to sell for awhile now. No one around here wants to buy it. :(
    Ill get rid of it someday.

17. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    you might also check out the old kramer ferrington acoustic's. Many pro's have used them ala Gene on Kisses unplugged MTV.