Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Canoman, Jun 4, 2002.

1. Canoman

Canoman

May 22, 2002
    Dallas, Texas
    I'm getting interested in the prospect of buying an acoustic/electric bass. I'm not really sure where to begin looking around on the internet to find out what is good and what isn't, so I thought I'd ask you guys and girls.

What would be a few decent, somewhat inexpensive models? Price range around $400 - $600 or so.

I've played a few at Mars Music and GC. Mars only had one model of Fender while I was there. GC had an Ovation and a couple of others, which I can't recall. I've seen a few on Ebay, but I'm hesitant to buy one that I haven't heard - especially an acoustic.

Where else should I check? There is a local chain of music stores (at least I think they're local) called Brook Mays here in the D/FW area that I should probably check out.

Is there anything that I should know before I get really serious about buying one? I don't know much at all about acoustic instruments.

Thanks for the help in advance.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Good advice from Chas.

In addition, I suggest you hold off on buying one until you've tried a Tacoma, a Taylor (outside your price range, unfortunately), and a Godin. These appear to be the three commonly available "best in class" ABGs - I went with a Tacoma, myself. There’s also some exotics, but you’d have to really seek them out.

Have fun looking!

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Check out Tacoma and Olympia (Tacoma's budget brand).

They're great, and the only ABG thats really suitable for playing with others acoustically.

Peace
    Nick

4. Canoman

Canoman

May 22, 2002
    Dallas, Texas
    Thanks for the info guys, those were some good threads. There are a couple of ABG's that I'm particularly interested in, mainly because I can't find much about what people think about them.

I'd be interested in hearing from someone who has a Michael Kline ABG. Their Custom 5 String looks cool, but does it sound good and play well?

Also, the Regal CRD-05 Dobro Acoustic Bass seems interesting. Not sure how it would sound with all that metal on the body. Anyone own one?

The Tacoma seems to be the overall winner. The US built ones are a little high for my price range at this point, but maybe I'll just put off buying one for a while until I can justify spending that much.

5. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    The local Guitar Center carries both the Tacoma and the Olympia - it may be the same down there. It would help to be able to A/B them. At least they're in the acoustic room, so you'll be able to hear how they sound. An Olympia is definitely in your current price range.

6. Canoman

Canoman

May 22, 2002
    Dallas, Texas
    Hmmmm

Was thinking about this over lunch. Anyone have any mp3's of some of these basses being played? Might be interesting.

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Tommorow is my last day of finals.

After that maybe I can go ahead and try to mic my Tacoma and get something online for you.

Peace
    Nick

8. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I have three tracks from my CD, "A Caravan Of Dreams" posted at mp3.com
    http://www.mp3.com/max_valentino
    All three were recorded using only a Godin A4 semi-acoustic four string.

Max

9. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Try givin' Larry Morgan's or Speir's out in Garland a call.
    They may have some ABG's in stock. If ya' visit, be sure
    and leave your checkbook and credit cards at home :p.

Larry Morgan...1809 South Garland Ave. / 972.864.8584

Speir's...510 South Garland Ave. / 972.272.1700

Watch out for "Mr. Know-it-all" at Larry Morgan's :rolleyes:.

Dontcha' be wearin' no big ol' belt buckle in Speir's "fancy
    bass room". Bass bro Dwaine will be very upset :mad:.

Dwaine's too cool! :D He got me a great deal on an Ampeg B-15.

(large feller in the middle)

[​IMG]

10. I played a Tacoma on one of my band's "Live" tracks. It isn't the most well recorded, but you can kinda tell how it sounds (sorta). What happened is that the bass was giving a lot of sound acoustically, but not much was coming through the house, so when we worked with the mp3 files, they boosted the bass, so there's some distortion and stuff. It's here and it's the "Live Acoustic" one.
    http://artists2.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Life_in_Art/

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Dwaine is the man! Great guy, and always has time to answer questions, no matter how busy it is. I love going there on a weekday and playing everything in the fancy bass room!:D

12. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I really like my Jasmine made by Takamine. It's not as loud as the Tacoma but less expensive.

13. Canoman

Canoman

May 22, 2002
    Dallas, Texas
    Hmm, I'll have to check those stores out.

Funny thing is... I live in Garland. :p

14. maxvalentino

Thanks, Geezer. That is very kind of you and I greatly appreciate it. I think that with the Godin I finally found my voice on the instrument.
    BTW, the CD is for sale at quite a few outlets around the west coast....or thru me.
    e-mail me at:
    ekstasis1@hotmail.com
    for any details

Max

15. Max, I love the sound on all of those songs. Great! Is your CD being sold a Lou's Records in Encinitas?

16. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    I have a Takamine ABG 512C model. I will say that it sounds really good unplugged. I use it for practicing in my apt so I don't get reamed by old man below.

It has a nice Active EQ which includes Bass, Mid, Treble adjust and Bass Boost and EQ On/Off. I can dial in many sounds with this ABG.

New, they run in the high 400's to low 500s. I liked it better than Fender, Dean, Epiphone, and some others. If you can't afford a better model like Taylor, Martin, or others, this is a great one to look at.

They are made in Korea which keeps down costs. The only thing I hate is the brige which is not adjustable, so my action can only be changed at the truss rod without having to sand my current brige down. Soundwise, I am very happy with it.

17. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Pretty standard for traditional acoustic designs...

18. maxvalentino

No, it is sadly not over in Encinitas....a few places inSLO and Santa Barbara. I have been fairly lazy about dealing with the "business" side of this business (typical of a musician, eh?)..but I hope to get things in better order over the next few weeks.

It can be had via me...just e-mail me at:
    ekstasis1@hotmail.com
    I will give you all the details.....

Thanks and I am glad you like it.
    Max