Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BluePinkGreen, Jul 31, 2002.

1. BluePinkGreen

BluePinkGreen

Feb 24, 2002
    Auburn, CA
    What's the general thought about acoustic basses from Oscar Shmidt (Washburn's mini-me) and Applause (Ovation's mini-me)?

2. I have one acoustic bass, and I'm looking for an upgrade. Yesterday I played several, including 3 or 4 Washburns. (I haven't played an Oscar Schmidt, though.) I was prepared to like it, but I was disappointed. Heavy, like it was built from two by fours, poor vibration and poor projection. My acoustic, cheap piece of crap though it is, vibrates and projects beautifully. The only problem is some fingerboard buzzes, probably caused by a sloppy defretting job. (I did it myself, and maybe I sanded a little too aggressively.)

I also haven't played the Applause, but I was interested in it because of the bowl back. (I want a sturdy acoustic, for camping and road trips.) I have played some Ovation and Applause guitars, and they were all pretty responsive, though not very comfortable to me.

There's another acoustic bass with an ABS fiber back, the Aria AMB-50B, that I'm also interested in. I couldn't find one yesterday, but I played an Aria FEB-SPL, which is all wood, and more expensive. Again, I was disappointed.

There is a "mini-me" of the Tacoma, I think, called Olympia. Everyone raves about the Tacoma, but I haven't played one. I've heard good things about the Olympia too. I would be more interested if it had a longer fingerboard (I don't often go above 20 frets, but sometimes I do), and if it had a string-through bridge. I've had a lot of bad luck with bridge pins.

3. BluePinkGreen

BluePinkGreen

Feb 24, 2002
    Auburn, CA
    Thanks guys, also, what do you have to say about the Galveston Acoustics?