1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acoustic basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zatan130, May 21, 2012.

1. zatan130

zatan130

May 13, 2010
    CT
    What's the best acoustic bass guitar you've ever played? I think Ovations are pretty damn good.

I'm also in the market for the loudest ones, so I'd like to know that too, even if the bass in question doesn't have the best tone.
    Lastly, what do people think of those Dean Playmates

2. Forget loud unless you want to play at night in bed and not wake up whomever is sleeping next to you.

I own a really great Ibanez AEB10, love it and use it pretty constantly. But it isn't something that will solve the need to play and not use an amplifier.

Honestly, there are a lot of people who complain that the AEBs aren't loud enough and they are worthless. Far from it - and I bet they use an amp for all their other basses too - right??

But one for the sound it makes while plugged in - not by how loud it is without an amp.

T'aint happening otherwise.

One I like a lot - and may be on my radar is the Fender acoustic with the jazz neck. Sweet.

3. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    Your first step should be to do a search here on the models you are thinking of, as well as for search terms such as "ABG" "acoustic", etc.

4. zatan130

zatan130

May 13, 2010
    CT
    I don't know what models I'm looking for. I've tried some Fenders, some Ovations and some Washburns and I like the Ovation Celebrity models best, but I'd still like something louder.

And yes, I am looking for something specifically loud. Not an amp-replacement, just a bass that can hold its own against two acoustic guitars, unplugged.

5. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Loud Acoustic Bass.

I'm not used to see those three words together so close. Aside from that, I am loving my Kala U-Bass. It took me just a few days to adapt to the short scale. Note: I also play fiddle and mandolin, short scales I am used to.

6. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    For two acoustic guitars you're gonna need an amp probably even for one.

7. acoustic bass guitars have no value other than practicing (at least for me), but they are useful for practicing. Many people have said that the Tacoma Thunderchief is the loudest. I've looked at snagging one of those but never pulled the trigger. I have an Ibanez 5 string and a Fender. The Fender is actually a good bass to practice on, just the way the neck is.

Shout out for another mandolin player. :bassist:

8. Fully agree. I have not seen an acoustic bass that can keep up with an acoustic guitar(s). You will need a small amp to be heard in the mix.

9. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Maybe, if the acoustic bass is a 3/4 UPRIGHT, and the two guitars are nylon stringed, you could get away without an amp.

Acoustic instruments have been playing a game of one upmanship when it comes to volumes for centuries. For plucked instruments, the Banjo wins. The resonator guitar and mandolin are tied for second. everything else needs an amp, or something strumming so hard that they will break a string.

10. Guitarron?

11. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    The big ones, that look like fiddles. ;)

12. Gutarron?

13. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    That's no bass, it's a small moon!

AcousticBassGtr.jpg

Look at him, look at how unhappy he is, probably wondering why he didn't take up the trumpet. :)

Plantbrain likes this.
  14. zatan130

zatan130

May 13, 2010
    CT
    @caeman Hello fellow fiddler. But for some reason, I prefer big basses.

Basically I'm going to be living off the grid for a month, and I cannot live without bass. I get that loud and acoustic bass don't go together, but please just straight tell me what the loudest one you've encountered is.

...resonator bass?

15. zatan130

zatan130

May 13, 2010
    CT
    OK, now I'm seriously considering buying a guitarron.

16. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
  17. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    In my experience the Boulder Creek basses have about as much volume as the Tacoma unplugged.
    You want to find something with a larger body that's made out of wood that actually vibrates. My (very) old Takamine - Jasmine has a large body, but since its made from laminated woods, it chokes the vibrations, much like the Ibanez, Dean, etc, etc. However, this is the very reason my bass amplifies really well. Not much vibration to cause feedback.
    Just like with an upright bass, real wood and a thin top and correct bracing make a bass louder. So...

If volume is your goal is volume, look for a large body and a thin or real wood top that will more freely vibrate and create more volume.

18. guitarrons are cool, but what I'm really GAS-ing for is a contrabass balalaika:

bruk_leonid.jpg

19. Get a battery powered Cube for the bass. That's about the only way to go off-grid and have any volume at all. Perhaps add a solar panel to recharge it.

I HAVE the Ibanez like I said - and I never considered playing it without an amp. That's just the way it is. I bought it for it's voice WITH AN AMP.

If you want volume ------------------------------> never mind. It's been already said by me and others.

20. I played a Crafter that was quite nice once, felt nice, but I didn't like not having anywhere to put my thumb. Volume was okay, but definitely needed to be plugged in.