Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic brand cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pork Soda, Jan 31, 2002.

1. Pork Soda

Pork Soda

Oct 4, 2001
    I know Acoustic is out of business but I was thinking about buying a used 80's 6x10 cab. Does anyone know anything about these or other similar products by Acoustic? How much do you think it's worth? How do they sound compared to newer cabs? I'm sure they probably were not the greatest but I just need a cab.

2. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    i'll have to check some of the catalogs i have at home but i'm pretty sure those 6x10 cabinets are guitar cabinets. it'll probably sound o.k. for bass. the real ones to look for, in my opinion, are the 360/361 amps, 370/301 amps, and the 470 amps. they're not worth much but i and many other people count themselves as die hard acoustic fans. i wouldn't pay much more than $250 for one of those cabinets.

steve

3. Pork Soda

Pork Soda

Oct 4, 2001
    Well, the guy is selling the 6x10 for 175$. He says he used it for guitar but he thinks it was meant for bass. He also has a carvin 2x10 redeye cab for 125$. I may go up today to try them out and hopefully take one home. Between those 2, which would you say was a better deal, or should I look for something else? Give me your suggestions.

4. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    i think those are both pretty good deals. i can give you a definite answer on the acoutic in about three hours when i get home from work, but as of now i'm 90% sure that the 6x10 cabinet acoustic made was meant for guitar. that's not to say that it won't sound good on bass, i would try both and see how they sound. that carvin is a nice cabinet, especially for that price. if i were to choose between the two, i would take the carvin and add a 1x15 later on.

steve

5. ive got an acousic 105, 4x12 guitar cab. Ive been using it for bass for like 6 months its not bad stuff, if you use it for wutever its used for (guitar cab for a guitar) and if you do find a die hard acoustic fan, you can get some money for it. Dont use there guitar stuff for bass. It doesint sound that bad, but if you try to get any low end sound, the whole cab rattles and cant handle it, and if i try to get a good high sound while slapping, it gets this harsh treble noise that hurts ur ears. If you really want acoustic stuff, go wit there bass stuff, because its not that bad.

heres a site to help ya

6. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    do you have a model number for that acoustic cabinet? my catalogs list the acoustic 104 6x10 cabinet as a guitar cabinet. they did make a 6x12 cabinet that's listed as both a bass and guitar cabinet.

steve

7. steve, what ever happened to that acoustic site you were making?

8. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    well, i started and then i got sidetracked. i'd really like to finish it one day but i need help. there are some real acoustic historians out there and i'd love to get one of them to write some sections of the website.