Acoustic Complications? Help.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mark_LB, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Mark_LB

Mark_LB

Oct 15, 2017
    Hey all, I have an Ashdown evo II 300 head and Ashdown ABM 410H 4x10" 600w cab.
    I bought this 2 years ago, tested it back then in a professional studio. When I got it home it lost all that punch and hi mids because of a terrible "booming". The lows are so annoying that ruins all of the tone and attack.
    Tried to mess with the eq and put it in different rooms/angles for no good.
    I figured out it's an acoustic problem since i tried different basses and hardwares and ended up in the same situation.
    PLEASE any help or suggeston would be much appreciated. I'm currently considering selling the amp to get something more home-convenient, in case i dont solve the problem.
    Thanks in advance.

2. I'd expect a studio to have the boominess under control.
    At home with no acoustic treatment, it's a crapshoot.
    Might be that any amp of a similar config is going to sound boomy at home.

Have you tried locating the amp in different parts of the room?
    Different distances from the wall?
    In a corner? Or not in a corner? Facing a corner? Facing out of a corner.
    Tilt it back, or get it up off the ground?
    Facing different walls.
    Different combinations of all that stuff?

Mark_LB likes this.
  3. Mark_LB

Mark_LB

Oct 15, 2017
    Yeah I did try the different combinations. The amp is currently in the middle of my 6m X 4m bedroom.

4. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Small rooms cause all kinds of problems with mud.

Also don't have the amp up against a wall or worse in a corner.

5. Try for zero symmetry by significant margins and raised off the floor.

matthewbrown and Mark_LB like this.
  6. Take the amp outside away from any buildings, fences or other reflective boundaries; Try it there and see how it sounds. This will be more or less the true sound of the amp / speaker.

Mark_LB likes this.
  7. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

A great way to dial out the mud is to use a High Pass Filter like the adjustable Fdeck HPF Pre 3.

It gets stellar reviews here on TB and it won't break the bank.

rllefebv and Mark_LB like this.
  8. I'm guessing it's somewhere in the low mids.

Because what you are doing is what I do 7 days a week, 8 hours a day, 365 days a year.

That is:- dial in a tone I like in a not-all-that-big room in the basement at home.

Since I bought my Empress Para EQ, I have discovered that there's a frequency of low mid that I can dial out that takes care of that low tubular boomy sound.

Sometimes I'll bump the Para EQ a little in the 80 or 90hz range to sweeten up the lows too.

Elevation and room placement also make a big difference.

I found that simply elevating my 1 x12 combo off the floor ten inches made a difference.

If I use the 1x12 combo with it's additional 1x12 cab I have to start all over again from scratch.

I have a 31-band ART EQ as well...but my wife won't let me open it 'til Christmas...:smug:

(I never go through this problem when recording with headphones. The same basses sound way more even-toned and good.)

I kept thinking it was the amp. But it isn't. The amp just does what it's told to do and can reproduce the whole bass spectrum no problem. Depending on how I EQ the bass, amp and the Para EQ is the sound that is delivered.

Delivered yes. But hugely influenced by room acoustics.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    Element Zero likes this.
  9. Mark_LB

Mark_LB

Oct 15, 2017
    Thanks guys for your valuable inputs.
    I'll try puting the amp facing a corner and raised off the ground, and add some acoustic foam on the corners.
    A high pass filter would be my last solution.
    Hope it'll work out.
    Thank you all.

Element Zero likes this.
  10. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    As silly as this setup looks, it has a few things going for it:

It’s a single speaker
    It’s away from the wall and the corner
    It’s elevated
    It’s sitting on a purpose-built isolation pad

No boom. Great tone.

8BBD7024-DB9C-4BB6-A900-75ACA8E7685E.jpeg

11. madbass6

madbass6 Inactive

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    You answered your own question,
    Sell it and buy something more home convenient.

12. Dabndug

Dabndug Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Somewhere in Oz
    Two extremely inane ideas if none of the excellent ones above work:

Try turning the volume down a tad. Excessive volume for a given space could be a reason for the nasty resonances you're experiencing;

If possible, acoustically soften your practice space - if it's not carpeted, get some rugs, hang blankets on the walls, close the curtains (if you've got any). It may look eccentric, but it will get rid of any resonance issues.

Mark_LB likes this.
  13. OOD

OOD

Jul 29, 2009
    What size is that speaker?

14. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    12”

OOD likes this.
  15. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    I have similar issues with my AGB. I found that using a an EQ filter that allows my to dial in a very specific frequency on the mids and then cutting that frequency, is what works. That frequency is different in different rooms. I cut doen the overtone values to remove the boom (ie if my low A is booming, I' start cutting around 440 which is obviously a lot higher than the "A" on the open string. I have one room at requires the cut to be at about 420 and another where it closer to 400. A typical EQ box is not finite enough to accomplish this. The pedal box I use has this option available, but I'd love to find a different unit just for this so I don't have to have "hidden" EQ settings in my line.

Mark_LB likes this.
  16. I've had good luck putting a tube trap behind the amp between it and the wall. The amp was about 4 feet out from the wall and the difference was remarkable.

Mark_LB likes this.
  17. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    All my gear sounds great on gigs or in my unheated garage. Sounds crappy in the only room in our house I can use as my man-cave. That’s just the way life goes sometimes.

Mark_LB likes this.
  18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021