1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Acoustic Control Corp 140 Bass Amp, Now $250

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by Count Bassie, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Price:
    Big edit here: the 106 cab is no longer available, price dropped to $250, + shipping to the lower 48.

20181031_072803.
    20181031_072905.

Restored to excellent working order, here we have a (Generation 1 or 2) 1976 Acoustic 140 bass head.
    The same head found in the 136 combo (120 watts @ 4 ohms), the 140 has a pair of redundant channels: each has Bass and Treble tone controls and a Bright switch. The channels can be chained together to "up" the gain, and to get a notable benefit from stacking differently eq'd preamp sections. The result can be pretty stellar- snarly, crunchy top end and gut-massaging lows. Really a fun amp to play through.
    The amp has been completely re-capped, preamp transistors replaced, and thoroughly gone through and checked out by Mike O'Keefe, a 30+ year electronics engineer and amp tech.
    This amp is a fine club/rock rig in like-new working condition, and is priced to go out the door and enable some lucky soul...

Thanks for your interest!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    blacktocomm, Stumbo and kbakerde like this.
  2. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

b7e7835bbc43988847e129e06ce3316e2de9762d2b6d0c2c909b607edfadae7e.

Count Bassie likes this.
  3. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Such great sounding amps. GLWTS

Count Bassie likes this.
  4. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Wow - that was my amp in ‘76 - but mine never looked that good. Rugged & reliable over hundreds of gigs. Somebody snag this!

Count Bassie likes this.
  5. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Just a curiosity, what’s the difference between a 140 head and a 150B? That was my first real amp.

6. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Internally, comoonent wise I really have no idea. I'm pretty sure the 140 is Gen 1... it does have the stark-simple, Polytone-like Bass/Treble eq section. 2 of them, exactly alike. Also the 140 does not want to see a 2 ohm load, don't know about the 150b.

Beyond that, dunno anything!

7. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I know that the 136 amp that was in a 15” combo is the same amp as the 140. ...not sure about the 150 tho.

Count Bassie likes this.
  8. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    I'd forgot about that, right.

9. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Maybe the 150B was the same amp as the guitar 150 less reverb? Somebody on this thread knows, I'm sure. I don't know much, but I had 20 good years of gigging with the combo you have for sale.

Count Bassie likes this.
  10. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    I had to make a choice, the 140 and mated cab or the 370 and go find a cab. The 370 won, just a better fit for me... you can get married to a sound.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    TomB likes this.
  11. Brad T. Bass

Brad T. Bass Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Big Fan of the ACC Gear. This (attached) should answer any questions you have about the 140/150 series amplifiers. Several different model numbers, but basically just 2 different versions, One for Bass & one for (excuse my French) Guitar. (Two Generations Pictured).

Channel A on both versions are identical. On the guitar version, the Channel B board has Tremelo, Reverb and slightly different tone shaping (see the schematics).

ACC Bass Head 140 = 150b = 136 (2 Bass Channels)
    ACC Guitar Head 150 = 134 = 135 (1 Bass Channel, 1 Guitar Channel)

134 -- (4) - 10" Guitar Combo
    135 -- (2) - 12" Guitar Combo
    136 -- (1) - 15" Bass Combo

Speaker Cabs

104 -- (6) - 10"
    105 -- (4) - 12"
    106 -- (2) - 15"

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    TomB and Count Bassie like this.
  12. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Thank you, @Brad T. Bass, for posting more concise and relevant info than I have!

13. Brad T. Bass

Oct 27, 2009
    As you’ll note, there were a couple of minor Model NUMBER variations between the Blue Face (1st Gen) & Black Face (2nd Gen) Models. The Model #’s I listed were for the Black Face (2nd Gen) Models, but all the Guts are as I noted.

I’ve never seen one, but I’ve read that the stand alone 106 (2) - 15” Model, that was factory shipped with (2) Altec 15’s, was numbered as a 109.

I wish they still built them like this. IMHO, the GC gear marketed as “Acoustic”, pale in comparison.

Count Bassie likes this.
  14. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Prospective buyer tomorrow...

Talk me out of selling the 106!
    I'm such a bad, wishy-washy gear seller. Sometimes I have almost no vision of what I want...

15. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Aha, so that explains my 106 with the 2 Altecs in it. Thx for the info.

16. Brad T. Bass

Oct 27, 2009
    Yes, surprised you are selling them (140 & the 106). I have a 140 / 106 in my basement Jam room (LOVE it!). The only reason I don’t gig out with the cab is I used to schlep around a 370 / 301 BY MYSELF back in the day & my back “ain’t what it used to be”. If I lived in a first floor flat, I WOULD, however gig with it (the 106), from time to time. I do use my 140 for gigging (you know how light it is) & take a 2-10 cab which easily fills most indoor venues we play (if I need MORE, I use a direct line into our P.A.). I love the 106 and will probably keep it until the day they bury me with it. :).

I have a MM HD-130 which sounds good through it too. Just depends on my mood. Tried some newer gear, but even after dialing in all the tone shaping & EQ settings, they never truly sounded much better than the old gear. I’ve found when you have all those controls, you’re constantly tempted to tweak. I prefer just focusing on playing. Have you tried Y’ing your 140 inputs? Lot’s of cool tone variations from that.

Just Me, anymore, simple is better. :). I do have to admit, though, if I were starting from scratch, I’d probably go with a Greenboy cab for gigging.

Count Bassie likes this.
  17. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    The 140 is just more cool than I can afford to keep, though I have sunk $ into it... the 106 is actually a nice cab, not too big. A chiropractor has saved my back, so I'm still ok with the schlep.
    I have stacked the inputs, yes, great sound! But again...
    My trouble is that it's easier to get interest in the set as a 146 than just the 140. The watts seem low for the new crowd of kids, and it's a large-ish head, though lightweight. The 146- the head and cab as a set- makes it more caché, if you get me.

I just need bread. What a drag, actually.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
    TomB and FranF like this.