Acoustic Double Bass Effect from a bass guitar

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by vballslife, Mar 7, 2006.

1. vballslife

Jan 20, 2006
    At the risk of heresy/blasphemy, may I ask if there is a special-effect mechanism (such as a special-effect pedal) that would make my bass guitar sound like an acoustic double bass?

The bass guitar is a semi-hollow Epiphone Viola.

Many thanks in advance,

2. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    There ARE fretless pedals that emulate that mwah, but i think it's been pretty much agreed upon around here that they don't quite do the job. I'd say, turn your tone all the way off and and mute your playing a little bit. Esp if it's a hollowbody you'll get that airy-woof.
  3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Sticking a half inch of sponge between the strings and bridge makes it thumpy.
  4. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Palm muting or foam mute and flatwound strings. It will never sound exactly like an upright, but that is as close as you will get.
  5. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
  6. vballslife

Jan 20, 2006
    Re. your Ashbory sound sample, yup, that's the sound. Noticed from your picture as well, that you have nylon strings on? How/where does one get those?

As to dampening the strings with sponge, may I ask how? Wedging the sponge between the strings and the body, or between strings and bridge? And, what kind of sponge (i.e., florist sponge, into which one can insert silk flower stems, or soft, diswashing sponge)?

Got some flatwounds last night, and will hunt for some sponge today...

Many thanks,

7. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

Use soft foam, the kind they use for padding cases, furniture, etc. Stick it under the strings just in front of the bridge, between the body and the strings so it is touching the strings and causing them to be muted. Experiment on the thickness to get it where it puts the right amount of pressure on the strings. It would go between the bridge and the bridge pickup.
  8. I actually folded up a leather strap and slipped it inbeteween the strings and the body of my jazz right at the bridge, turned down the treble just a tad, and it sounded DEAD ON. The foam idea definitely works. Just make sure it's not high enough to change the intonation!