Acoustic/Electric bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Molly, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Molly

Jan 8, 2005
    I few months ago I bought an Olympia acoustic/electric bass from a luthier I know. I'm just curious who all out there plays on or has an acoustic/electric bass and what they think.

I personally like it because you don't have to hook it up to an amp every time you want to play it. But it doesn't have quite as rough of a sound as many just-electric basses do.

It's also HUGE, and the neck is way long. But it's strings fit the same as the do on my other bass.
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hi, Molly, welcome to TB!

I'm a big proponent of Acoustic Bass Guitars (ABG), which is what your Olympia is considered to be. You will usually see the term "electric/acoustic" used to describe thinbody semi-hollowbodies rather than big boxes like yours.

ABGs have been the subject of many, many discussions. You may find a trip though the archives to be interesting! Just search on "ABG".
  3. I really wish I had a Yamaha 5 string ABG like Nathan East's! It's a beauty with an incredible tone.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm an ABG player, it's a Brownsville I got on closeout for $100 and with a good cleaning and fresh strings it plays good. Just need a new bridge saddle and it'll play GREAT!