Acoustic Electric Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by irony, Jan 16, 2006.

1. irony

Jul 6, 2005
    Cullman AL
    hi guys,,, i have a big question... i would really like to get new Acoustic Electric Bass, and i would love for it to be Fretless
    so we can make this in to a game..

ok the rules are,,

you have $350

to find the best deal. and its got to be new..

good luck..

see ya
  2. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    Let me add on to this game. I want a fretted acoustic/electric, that sounds good, has less than 5 strings, for less than 100 dollars. Looks, I could care about, used, I could also care about. As long as it plays, and sounds good.
  3. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    IMO you want a Tacoma Olympia Thunderchief. You will generally need more than $100 to get ANY acoustic bass. You want something loud unplugged? the Olympia IS. I got mine used for $130, but only because I worked at an instrument store.
  4. irony

Jul 6, 2005
    Cullman AL
    nice but need other ideas... any body please..

and i want fretless.. see ya
  5. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

I just sold one that I had lying around here for about a year -- a Washburn AB-20 and it had JUST come back from my Bass Tech.

It wasn't new but it was so clean that it wouldn't have mattered.
  6. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Tacoma makes a fretless they are on ebay all the time.
    The Dean performer would be next on my list.
    I have heard mixed reviews on Michael Kelly's stuff.

All 3 of these brands come in a fretless.

I hate to say this, but do a search. This subject has been covered many, many times.
  7. AndreasH

Apr 8, 2005
    I would say a Tacoma Thunderchief. But I think you'll have to pay more if you want a Tacoma.
    OR you can do a budget-thingy and buy a "cheap" bass and defret it.
  8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The Dean Performer is what I'd choose in that price range. I've played one fretless. Very, very nice.
  9. MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Does it have to be new? I mean, you'd have a wider range of choices if you included pre owned basses as well.
  10. Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Dean Playmate EAB... $150

That's your best bet. IMHO, it sounds better than almost any acoustic bass I've played, and louder than any but an Ovation I tried once. It was matched by a $1000 Takamine, but come on.

The electronics suck, and you'll want to go through it and tighten some things here and there, but for $150, you can't go wrong.
  11. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    +1 on the Dean Performer.