Acoustic-Electric Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sabbath1977, Mar 1, 2006.

1. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

In that price range, I've heard the Dean Performer is the one to get, but I have no personal experience with it. Or you could look for a used Olympia, if you would like to actually have some usable acoustic volume. The Olympia is big (it's the laminated Korean version of the Tacoma -- do a search if you're curious), but you're unlikely to find a louder or better ABG for under $400 new. They show up on ebay regularly. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably get a used Olympia in good condition. There are a couple of folks here on the board with Olympias -- do a search and PM them on their experience. I played one and liked it a great deal, but made the mistake of playing the far-more-expensive Tacoma, and decided I had to have a Tacoma instead. Had I not played it, I would have bought the Olympia, and would have probably been very happy with it -- it's a great value.

In general, Acoustic/Electric basses don't produce much volume, so be sure to listen to how it sounds through an amp, since more than one guitar player can usually drown it out unless it's amplified.

I haven't played the Rogue, but I haven't heard a lot of good things about it, either. Getting a used ABG in good condition is somewhat low risk, because if you don't like it, you can sell it and just lose the cost of shipping.