1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acoustic/Electric Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shortbigtoe, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Shortbigtoe

Shortbigtoe

Feb 25, 2008
  2. naetog

naetog Supporting Member

May 26, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Don't do it. you'll still need an amp to be heard, defeating the whole point of the acoustic.

3. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    What do you want out of this bass? Do you plan on playing acoustically with others? Do you just want an acoustic sound while playing through an amp?

4. Shortbigtoe

Shortbigtoe

Feb 25, 2008
    I just like the acoustic sound and I will most likely play by myself or maybe with my friend who owns an acoustic guitar. This will most likely be just for practicing or playing around.

5. I recently sold my Takamine ABG and got bummed out when I did not have an acoustic to dink around with at home. I got the Titan ABG (identical to your first link above but black) and I was impressed for a $100 bass (shipped). It is cheap, no doubt, but it plays and sounds ok last night I had a guy playing along with a Acoustic guitar playes with fingers (no pick) and it was fine. Honestly, it looks like they just stuck a bass neck on a guitar body. The electronics are CRAP! The piezo is unbalanced and it sounds BAD. If you look close, every bass you have up there has the same preamp, so don't expect any of them to sound great plugged in. Also, as I said above, the body is the size of a guitar so it is small and easy to play at home on the couch. I think it is well worth the $100. Also, you can go to nationalmusicsupply.com and buy them for $97 with free shipping. I am thinking of replacing the preamp (which was installed backward LOL) with an artec pre and seeing if I can get a decent sound out of it.

Just my .02

CB

6. Shortbigtoe

Shortbigtoe

Feb 25, 2008
    Thanks for the information. I'm kinda a newbie at this and I wanted to get a acoustic that I can play without having to use an amp and "anger" my parents. I go to my friend's garage and play electric bass there where I wont annoy anyone, hehe. So with that info given, is there one that you guys recomend over any other within the $250 price range.

7. Lalabadie

Lalabadie Guest

Jan 11, 2007
    General consensus puts the Dean Playmate on top of the list, mainly because it's louder than most other basses, and plays very nice once setup correctly. And costs a lot less than other similar ABGs.

8. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    Have you been to http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acoustic-bass-guitars ? They have five in your price range.

9. ebdogs

ebdogs

Feb 25, 2008
    I recently picked up a Cort Mahogany on ebay used for about 200 bucks. Retail about 750..This bass is fully equipped, fishman pickups, mahogany woods, etc. Personally if you are looking ebay look for a nice lightly used one such as Cort or Micheal Kelly.
    You may be looking at spending the full 250. but at least you have a nicer guitar with some resale value. Dean's entry level bass is garbage, and would have little to no resale value if you don't like it. Also do a little research on the woods used and how they affect your tone, depending on what tone you are looking for the one type of wood may be more ideal than another. :bassist:

10. ebdogs

ebdogs

Feb 25, 2008